Omnichord

Poor Slowrider....:o

Look what you have reduced him to, you evil moderators.

He's starting threads about Omnichords, for chrissake.

It doesn't get much lower and depraved than that.

I hope you guys are happy.

Poor Slowrider.

:spank:

Omnichords and Rainbow stomp boxes... The recording musicians choice de luxe...

Manowar used to use those things live. It's kind of nifty for what they were doing, but why would you want one?

Why?

Because I can!

Music is always about experimentation.

At least it used to be.

Hell yeah! Not necessarily for the omnichord, but for experimentation.

I'm sure you guys have seen Jimmy Fallon's pop songs done on little kid's band instruments.

Hell, if the Beatles, or Bowie, had used an omnichord, everybody would be raving about what a genius move it was.

Manowar used it as a midi controller for a higher quality outboard synth. Instead of flying in some of the orchestral parts in their songs, they would play them on the omnichords. None of them played keys, so this was the solution. If I recal, they had the touch strip thing set up to play arpeggios when you slid your finger across. With practice, they were able to play melodies based on the arpeggios.

It's like anything else, it will take a while to learn it, but it is a perfectly fine instrument. Basically, it's a midi autoharp.

I respectfully suggest that you experiment with learning your way around an actual instrument.

---------- Update ----------

My eyebrows went up so far they are on the back of my neck, thanks.
Define "actual instrument". You seem to have succumb to the same faulty logic that has people calling a double bass pedal "cheater pedals", or thinks that it is somehow easier to play a digital piano than an acoustic one.

It takes just as much work to get music out of any instrument. They all have their limitations and they all can do something easier than another instrument. (try playing a barre chord on a piano, all 6 notes in that order across the three octaves, while pedaling the root note)

"actual instruments"? Please.

Define "actual instrument". You seem to have succumb to the same faulty logic that has people calling a double bass pedal "cheater pedals"

Nope. That wasn't me.

or thinks that it is somehow easier to play a digital piano than an acoustic one

Nope, that was also not me. I think the problem here is that you seem to be upset about the opinions of people who are primarily not me, but want to talk to me about it. I can't help you with that.

It takes just as much work to get music out of any instrument.

Maybe it does. Have you read Jack Vance's fabulous short story The Moon Moth? You should if you haven't already.

They all have their limitations and they all can do something easier than another instrument.

The first rule of tautology club is the first rule of tautology club.

try playing a barre chord on a piano, all 6 notes in that order across the three octaves, while pedaling the root note

Who needs to do that, when you've got a fuckin' OMNICHORD!!!!!

Nope, that was also not me. I think the problem here is that you seem to be upset about the opinions of people who are primarily not me, but want to talk to me about it. I can't help you with that.
I didn't say that you said those things, I said that you succumbed to the same faulty logic. The thinking that tells you that there are 'actual' instruments and 'fake' instruments. It's an elitist and myopic stance.

Last edited:
Is a DJ a musician?

It's not the instrument, but the musician who ultimately makes the music. A talented person can get music out of five gallon buckets and cardboard boxes, but a chimpanzee will only make noise with the finest piano.

Back