omg I hate cables!! (help needed)

hiphopsupamix

cables and I don't get along very well but anyway...

I need to connect my Behringer UB1204 mixer to my Audiophile 2496 soundcard...

Here is the panel at the back of my mixer;

screenhunter27pf.jpg

can someone please confirm if I should use the MAIN OUTPUTS to connect XLR cables to my Audiophile's RCA Inputs?

thanks!!

That should work fine (assuming that this is NOT a powered mixer) . If you have direct outs or can tap an insert, then you may want to go that way, unless of course your submixing more than one instrument into your computer with the mixer.

hiphopsupamix said:
by "NOT a powered mixer" do you mean it's not plugged into the wall?
Powered mixer means a mixer specifically made to drive speakers. Yours is NOT a powered mixer. You can safely plug it straight into your soundcard.

^^^^

okay awesome! :D

I'm not quite sure of the difference between balanced and unbalanced cables are... but I can only find unbalanced XLR to RCA cables (my soundcard input is RCA)... will unblanced cables be ok for what I want to do?

thanks!!!

There's no such thing as a balanced RCA cable. All RCA cables have two wires, hot at the tip and ground at the sleeve. Since it's the only option available, unbalanced cables are what you should use.

Three wires are required to balance a cable --- hot, cold and ground --- and the ends can be cannon connectors (traditional microphone jack/plug), TRS 1/4" or a combination of the two.

If you're interested in more I found several very dry articles (some complete with very impressive graphing) by Googling 'balanced versus unbalanced audio cables'.

Back