Older Tascam mixers VS newer brands

I was just curious how the older Tascam mixers (3 series, 5 series) stand up against the newer compact mixers (allen heath mixwizard, soundcraft fx16, mackie). They seem to come relatively cheap, if you can find one, and I was just curious how they compared to the newer compact/home use mixers.

Thanks
Dennis

I wouldn't know about how they stack up against one another... A&H and Soundcraft seem to have some respectable products in their small mixer line, so if you CAN compare a 20 year old mixer with a decent little mixer of today, then that in it's self should say something pretty positive about Tascam.

:)

While I have no experence with newer home boards. but my Series 3 is built like a tank. I've had it for about 15 years and out side of the faders getting a little sticky (maintence takes care of that), it's never let me down. It doesn't appear to be too noisy for what I do and the price is right.

As far as the price, we got a great deal on the board, but we bought it from the orginal owner and knew the history. The Series 3's I've seen on Ebay look like they been around the block a few too many times.

djw

The only real short-comings of the series 3 and 5 mixers, which are going on close to 30 years in age at this point, is that they are not as quiet a mixer as the other newer boards you mentioned.

At the time of their design, they were expecting them to be used with analog recorders that had some hiss to them anyway so, noise levels were not as much of a concern as the newer boards are that might be used with MDM's and ADAT's and other digital mediums that are very quiet, noise wise.

In all other respects, those old TASAM boards are very musical sounding and very functional for the home recordist as well as smaller budget professional studio clientèle.

If your tracking modern, heavier sounding material like that dreaded rock and roll crap!:D , they should be well worth the cheap prices they are selling for and may even be a bit better in terms of functionality and cosmetics!!

Cheers! :)

Back