older SB Live card using WIndows XP?

achasse

Creative's web site and customer support has been no help, so I'm hoping I can find the answer here. My old computer ran Windows 98, and I was using an SB Live MP3+ card to record. I was hoping to just install the same card into my new computer, which runs Windows XP, but the card was only meant for up to Windows NT or Windows 2000. My new computer won't allow me to manually install (it says that the program won't run on XP).

So, is there any sort of driver and/or conversion program that will allow me to use the same card, or am I going to be stuck buying a new card?

Thanks!
ARC

What are you trying to use the SB for. I had the same problem, but I found that Windows XP loaded its drivers for my older SB live, but I could not install any of the software. This was a problem for me because I wanted to use soundfonts, and I wanted the manager that came with the SB. Unfortunately, Creative just sucks when it comes to support. They said they would have new software and drivers out for XP, but nothing came of it. You may have to bite the bullet and get a new card. Although, if you are using the SB for recording, I would suggest you ditch the SB and look into an M-audio or Event recording cards. If you insist on going with SB, the new Audigy's works fine with XP, and although they work ok, are not recommended for recording.

Just install the drivers from the cd. They work and will let you do sound fonts and stuff. The only problem I have is that at bootup it can take a bit because there is a file called devldr.exe that runs. You can wait for a while and let it run its course, or you can just ctrl+alt+dlt and close the file from task manager. If you do install do a custom install and only install AUDIO HQ and Surround Mixer because they are the only ones that will work.

Hope this helps
Beezoboy

i had no problems when i used my sb live mp3 wit XP Pro...it installed its own drivers and i just used the CD to install the other software to use soundfonts

www.kxproject.com

You might want to try these drivers out.

I find them absolutely amazing for anything under the sun except gaming so under 98 I run the (EAX-enabled) creative drivers. For working in 2K or music and recording, these guys blow the Creative drivers out of the water.

SBLives are a crapshoot in WinXP; it might install everything 100%, might only install basic drivers, or (rarely) might install nothing. The couple XP computers I've personally tried it on, XP installed its own basic drivers, but wouldn't install any of the software at all.
- Compaq posted WinXP full drivers+software, the installer is 386 megs big. They intended it for their computers, but it works for others also. Search or ask on the Creative/SBLive newsgroup where to find it. Most people who can't get the regular software to install in XP seem to be able to get the Compaq driver to work.
- The KX drivers have less lag, but don't offer the same functionality as the original Creative software, I understand. I have not tried them myself though, as I have not found lag to be a problem (???)....

I have a comp with XP and a SB live. No problems installing the downloaded drivers. I don't use it for recording so YMMV.

Back