Old Vox Acoustic Guitar

BillyFurnett

*I know it's really hard to ask for info without a pic, but....

I have this kind of strange Vox acoustic that I'd like to find some info on. I call it "strange" because it's like a Mini-Jumbo with a very thin flat BOLT ON neck There's also a strap button on the back of the neck that looks factory installed.

I'm certain it has no value, but having just remembered I had it in storage for the last 15 years, I figured I do a little research.
(I checked a Vox "Museum" site that didn't have it.)

Billy,

This sounds like a very old acoustic guitar I saw at Buck Owens Studio in Bakersfield, California, during some session work in the early 1980s. It was one of many acoustics laying around in the studio, but it is very unique.

It was called a Vox Serenader if I remember correctly. It has a neck plate on the back of the body and a fret just in front of the nut. I never saw another acoustic quite like it.

I hope this information is helpful...Bert

Hey thanks for the reply Mr. Bert...

You are totally understanding what I mean by a strange guitar!!
I wanna say I've seen Serenader's before, so I don't think that's it unless it's a different version, (I don't recall a fret above the nut) but it's close.
I'm very damn glad you know what I mean. 'Cus I've never seen anything like it before or since.
Now that I think of it, that guitar sort of scared me cus it was bizzare! :)

(I'll have to deal with the nightmare of where it's stored and go get it.)

Thanks for the info

Cool :)

It's close, but no cigar. (Boy, Vox sure made some ugly stuff! LOL)

Same bolt on neck, but mine is more of a Mini-Jumbo C&W as opposed to the Serenaders almost Classical style. Mine has a different headstock too. (Much plainer with just VOX and no model name)
Just guessing, I'd say mine is 60's as well and maybe even twice as ugly!

Thanks for the help man.. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Does it have a sloped shoulder look to it, similar to the 12 strings - I forget the name, but they pop up on ebay from time to time. very c&w look, kinda gibson hummingbird or 45 shaped?

I honestly don't know what Sloped shoulder is like. (Sorry)
(Don't know what the zero fret is used for either... Maybe bending the open strin?)

:)

a zero frets give you lower and more constant action, so the action at the next fret on an open string is the same as on a fretted string. (does this make any sense?)

Zero fret

It basically keeps open chords from sounding like shit when used with moveable chords.

I like it. I just wish someone other than just Gretsch would make a guitar with them.

HINT HINT Fender and Gibson. If for any reason they or an employee are on this board.

Lol

I have That Guitar too Vox Serenader my dad told me they only made 50 of them ive been trying to find more about them but cant find much

I believe the old Vox acoustics were made by an Italian company named EKO. That may give you another road to go down for information.

Zero frets were used on inexpensive instruments because you didn't have to train someone to cut the nut accurately. If you think about it they're a good idea. It's the best way to get the open note to sound the same as a fretted one. Some high class makers have begun to build that way.

I think I've seen one of these once in a shop. Vox did make some odd guitars. I was lucky enough to be involved in a launch of some Vox electric guitars in 19982. They were all a bright sky blue and were rubbish to play. I have a pic of one, I'll try and find it.

Back