Old track of mine remastered - is it an improvement?

Bubba po

Tiny Stonehenge Moment
Back in 2011 when I joined this forum, I posted my first recording project since using a Tascam Porta-one in the eighties. Done on A Roland BR-800, most of the mixing decisions had to be made early on, for better or worse, and a proper remix was not really possible

I decided to put the stereo wav into reaper and remaster it using my Focusrite Red plugins. What do you think?

Original version:

Remastered:

Last edited:
Good song, and very cool that your son was doing the drums. The highs were a little painful on the original version, but apart from that I preferred it to the remastered version. It seemed to have more energy. If it were mine, I'd re-record it.

It seems like another example of soundcloud totally ruining things. In an A/B test in the DAW, the new version pisses all over the old. Ah, well. :D

I like both recordings, but I like the original more. The remastered version has a lot more low end, especially the kick, which is booming in my headphones (I don't have speakers, so take the into consideration). The original version seems less muddy overall to me.

Sweet song.

Dang. 12 yrs old and rockin the drums. :thumbs up: :D

Listening to the 2nd mix now. Kick drum is clicky and not much "oomphy". Snare seems to lean to the left, but I guess that's printed and unchangeable. Bass is coming across a little boomy. Some notes stick out, other don't.

Man, I wish I could play guitar like that. :o

The second version (mastered) was much better.
it sounded more open with a better stereo spread, and generally sounded more "alive"

I dug it.
Btw, I listened in my system. No earbud crap.
well done.

Ta very much for the comments, I agree with what you've all said. Listening this morning on the monitors, it seems I got a bit carried away, went too far and overcooked it on the low end. If I roll it back a little it sounds a lot better.

Chili, thanks for the comments about the playing. Listening back now, I notice I had far less finger vibrato on there than I do these days - a consequence of working on that for the last couple of years.

Last edited:
The second version (mastered) was much better.
it sounded more open with a better stereo spread, and generally sounded more "alive"

I dug it.
Btw, I listened in my system. No earbud crap.
well done.

Exactly what I thought. It does sound better now with a bit less low end boom, I mostly used headphones last night (I know, I know :o) and it is definitely booming a bit on my HS5s listening this morning. Those monitors are a little light in the lows, so the bass must be quite pronounced on other monitors.

I'm pretty impressed with the Red EQ plugin, though. Just putting the mix through it and barely tweaking a few frequencies seems to massively improve the overall transparency and three-dimensional image. Quality software.

Thanks for the thumbs up. :)

Why are people being snobby about headphones? "Earbud crap"? Because you dropped 2k on speakers and feel the need to bash headphones? My headphones (Sennheiser HD580s) are great/mostly flat, and better than speakers given I mix in my apartment. A mix should sound good on earbuds anyway.

Someone needs to call out all the gearhead bullshit. So lame. I was reading a guitar forum the other day and people were getting uppity about picks. Picks! I guess for every commodity, there's a group of assholes who will turn their nose up and make it all about them.

The track sounds so much better now, Bubba. I still think the kick is too loud (~1-2db), but the low end is so much better now. Let others chime in on the kick and see if they agree. Personally I like punk with more snare and less low end. This is one of the best covers I've heard on the forum. I actually like it more than the original. I'm surprised the thread hasn't received more attention.

Last edited:
Why are people being snobby about headphones? "Earbud crap"? Because you dropped 2k on speakers and feel the need to bash headphones? My headphones (Sennheiser HD580s) are great/mostly flat, and better than speakers given I mix in my apartment. A mix should sound good on earbuds anyway.

Some needs to call out all the gearhead bullshit. So lame. I was reading a guitar forum the other day and people were getting uppity about picks. Picks! I guess for every commodity, there's a group of assholes who will turn their nose up and make it all about them.

The track sounds so much better now, Bubba. I still think the kick is too loud (~1-2db), but the low end is so much better now. Let others chime in on the kick and see if they agree. Personally I like punk with more snare and less low end. This is one of the best covers I've heard on the forum. I actually like it more than the original. I'm surprised the thread hasn't received more attention.

Thanks so much, 4tracker. As I'm sure you can appreciate, the mix was done and dusted nearly five years ago when I was a total novice and even if I remixed it the drums, bass and L/R rhythm guitars are already printed as a necessary consequence of dealing with the bouncing down needed on an 8-track recorder using headphones only. The drums were recorded using four tracks (bass, snare and overheads - the overheads being AKG D321 dynamic vocal mics). I think the kick mic was an SM58 copy, lol :D. I wanted to experiment with my mastering plugins first and foremost to see if I could improve my old "product" significantly. I know the track has some merit, because I've picked up over 300 downloads on soundcloud over the last few years.

I agree with your comment about gearhead snobbishness, generally- but these Focusrite plugins are free with a £90 interface and retail for over £200. I think they are absolute quality. If you can't get a decent result on basic gear, then you're doing it wrong. I happen to be a painter as well, and the same gearhead mentality prevails in that area too; if you aren't using top quality hogshair, squirrel hair and sable brushes with the finest oil and water pigments, then you can't paint a picture. Total bollocks.

Someone needs to call out all the gearhead bullshit.

Whoa. Back the fuck off a bit with your rant. I'm assuming my "no earbud crap" statement partially inspired you.

First off. I'm not one with a set of 2k monitors. I use 20 year old NS10s which it seems the "modern hip" crowd hates.

Secondly, most mixes i listen to are on my phone with cheap jvc earbuds.
Thats me being lazy, and is a disservice to the poster looking for an in depth listen.
Also when one critiques a mix, it might be a good thing to state how it was listened to.
I'm pretty sure no one can say cut a little 2k, or whatever, based on listening on a set of laptop speakers.
Yes a mix should sound good on all listening devices, but earbuds, laptop speakers, and a lot of popular consumer headphones aren't going to be too revealing of the the finer points of a mix.

So saying i gave a listen on something orher than my buds is letting them know I really had a listen. It means i listened on my standard monitoring situation that I know and am used to. It means I gave a shit.

I'm not invloved in gearhead bullshit, so chill with your hostilities.
:D

Thanks so much, 4tracker. As I'm sure you can appreciate, the mix was done and dusted nearly five years ago when I was a total novice and even if I remixed it the drums, bass and L/R rhythm guitars are already printed as a necessary consequence of dealing with the bouncing down needed on an 8-track recorder using headphones only. The drums were recorded using four tracks (bass, snare and overheads - the overheads being AKG D321 dynamic vocal mics). I think the kick mic was an SM58 copy, lol :D. I wanted to experiment with my mastering plugins first and foremost to see if I could improve my old "product" significantly. I know the track has some merit, because I've picked up over 300 downloads on soundcloud over the last few years.

I agree with your comment about gearhead snobbishness, generally- but these Focusrite plugins are free with a £90 interface and retail for over £200. I think they are absolute quality. If you can't get a decent result on basic gear, then you're doing it wrong. I happen to be a painter as well, and the same gearhead mentality prevails in that area too; if you aren't using top quality hogshair, squirrel hair and sable brushes with the finest oil and water pigments, then you can't paint a picture. Total bollocks.

That's good they are downloading it on soundcloud. I just don't understand why it's not getting love here.

I actually have those plugins -- they came free with my focusright interface. I haven't tried them yet, but I'll do that.

Do you have any original stuff? I'd be curious to hear that.

Whoa. Back the fuck off a bit with your rant. I'm assuming my "no earbud crap" statement partially inspired you.

First off. I'm not one with a set of 2k monitors. I use 20 year old NS10s which it seems the "modern hip" crowd hates.

Secondly, most mixes i listen to are on my phone with cheap jvc earbuds.
Thats me being lazy, and is a disservice to the poster looking for an in depth listen.
Also when one critiques a mix, it might be a good thing to state how it was listened to.
I'm pretty sure no one can say cut a little 2k, or whatever, based on listening on a set of laptop speakers.
Yes a mix should sound good on all listening devices, but earbuds, laptop speakers, and a lot of popular consumer headphones aren't going to be too revealing of the the finer points of a mix.

So saying i gave a listen on something orher than my buds is letting them know I really had a listen. It means i listened on my standard monitoring situation that I know and am used to. It means I gave a shit.

I'm not invloved in gearhead bullshit, so chill with your hostilities.
:D

Sorry.

I misunderstood it, as is common on the internet. My bad for jumping to a conclusion; we can end it there so as not to derail his thread.

Last edited:
Forgiven. But in the future if you wanna come at me, do it head first not sideways.

If you saw my setup, you'd see I'm not into the latest, greatest technology. Hell, i even still use an Alesis quadreverb. I love it. My setup makes 98% of the people on Gearslutz cringe.
I don't even have room treatment.

Sit close to the speakers and mix at low volume. There! Problem solved, you don't hear the room.

You know what my idea of room treatment is? Guitars, amps, gear, and a bunch of musicians playing music.
Bingo. The room is properly treated. :D

Too many get all anal and clinical but still put out shitty songs.

Hey Bubba, sorry for the temporary thread derail. :D

Did you get the bottom end sorted out?

Remastered sounds much better than the original here on my set up. Nice full sound with a good spread.

Great cover of a great song. :thumbs up:

Excellent song of course, cool cover and the "remaster" sounds more modern and a little fuller. I'm not sure which I prefer.
I have the Red set but haven't used it.

That's good they are downloading it on soundcloud. I just don't understand why it's not getting love here.

I actually have those plugins -- they came free with my focusright interface. I haven't tried them yet, but I'll do that.

Do you have any original stuff? I'd be curious to hear that.

Thanks, 4tracker - it's quite hard to get love for old britpunk/new wave on here, other than a few discerning individuals. :D I have one song on Soundcloud that's mine, but it's badly in need of a remix. I did it on Sonar (horrible shit program) when I was just getting back into this and it's not really representative of what I like - it's my attempt to write a "pop/rock" song.

Other than that, there is some stuff from my post-punk originals band in the 80s/90s but none of that stuff was home-recorded. I'm the main writer, though.

https://soundcloud.com/dik-dik-dimorphic

Remastered sounds much better than the original here on my set up. Nice full sound with a good spread.

Great cover of a great song. :thumbs up:

Muchos Grassy-arse, Mr. Clean. It's fair to say that this song is my number one of all time.

Excellent song of course, cool cover and the "remaster" sounds more modern and a little fuller. I'm not sure which I prefer.
I have the Red set but haven't used it.

Thanks, Ray - by the way, one of your songs (Softdance) automatically plays after that song when I listen to it on my channel. I think it's rather good - have you shared it on here?

Back