old skool mic, weird cable ??

suprstar

It aint ez being green
What kind of cable is this? Is there a converter that turns it into a normal xlr so I can plug it into my interface? Its from the 70's, I think I got a good deal on it. Anyone ever see one of these?

mic.jpg

mic2.jpg

mic3.jpg

Looks like a Japanese knock off of an EV.

They do sell converters but I don't have a site handy to throw at ya, maybe someone else has a quick link Supr.

Cool find!

The 4 pin amphenol was relatively common on mics in the "olden days" to give a choice of high or low impedance output.

IF (and it's a big if) the wiring follows the old Shure standard, Pins 1 & 2 are the unbalanced High Z output with Pin 1 the Shield/Ground and Pin 2 hot. Pins 3 and 4 are the lower impedance balanced out with Pin 4 +ve and Pin 3 -ve (and Pin 1 Ground again).

If it is the standard Amphenol, it's an MC4F you want from Amphenol.

However, I stress that I've never heard of Clarion mics and don't know if they follow the Shure convention.

I own a couple of old Aiwa Mics that look very similar in style to the Claricon, I found the connectors on ebay by just search for 4 pin microphone connector. You will have to make up your own lead I don't think you will find an adaptor to XLR. By the way there were also 2 pin and 3 pin versions of the plug around.

Cheers

Alan.

Sweet space age kinda thing isnt she.
Let us know how she sounds once you get her up and running please

Thanks guys! Yeah I can get the connector cheap enough, the pre-made cables go for as much as $70...... I noticed that the little dent in the connector, (where it's keyed so the cable can only be put in one way) it's ON one of the pins. The connectors I see have this little key BETWEEN 2 pins, so I'm not sure if those will work, or if the part with the pins inside the mic got turned a little bit. If it physically fits the mic I can make some educated guesses and trial-and-error it until it works I suppose.

Back