old (?) shure mic.....

whjr15

hey guys.

i was given a shure PE588 "unisphere" mic a short time ago (havent tried it out yet), and was wondering if any of you have ever heard of it, or possibly even used it.. is it any good (or even halfway decent?) im just curious to see if it would be a futile effort to try to get a decent sound out of it. i dont want to have high expectations for it, and then after countless hours of experimenting, come to find out its a piece of shit... id like to know this beforehand :D thanks in advance.

oh yeah, if you want me to post a pic of it i will.

well it came in its old carrying case, and also with what i am assuming to be its original cord ( 3 pin to 1/4'')

but do you know if theyre actually halfway decent?? or will a behringer beat it anyday lol?

mshilarious said:
Here is the user guide:

http://www.shure.com/stellent/group...us/documents/web_resource/us_pro_pe588_ug.pdf

I note that it is a high-impedance mic with pin 1 hot. That is very non-standard; at a minimum you would have to make a special cable and run it into a high-impedance input for it to be useable.

To me, it looks like pin 3 is hot, and pins 1 & 2 are tied together to the shield. That's pretty odd in itself... usually for an XLR to 1/4" setup, pins 1 & 3 are tied together, with pin 2 being hot.

whjr15 said:
well it came in its old carrying case, and also with what i am assuming to be its original cord ( 3 pin to 1/4'')

but do you know if theyre actually halfway decent?? or will a behringer beat it anyday lol?

Well, plug it in and find out. If you don't have a high impedance input (or a direct box), it will definitely suck though.

Pe588

whjr15 said:
hey guys.

i was given a shure PE588 "unisphere" mic a short time ago (havent tried it out yet), and was wondering if any of you have ever heard of it, or possibly even used it.. is it any good (or even halfway decent?) im just curious to see if it would be a futile effort to try to get a decent sound out of it. i dont want to have high expectations for it, and then after countless hours of experimenting, come to find out its a piece of shit... id like to know this beforehand :D thanks in advance.

oh yeah, if you want me to post a pic of it i will.

I have one of these from way back when. It was an ok live mic but it's not comparable to the sm57 or sm58 in my opinion. It is a Hi Z mic. If nothing else you have a piece of history there.

I sang through one a couple of weeks ago

Hi,

It's a pretty good vocal mic. Definitely usable with a PA that takes high impedance input. I enjoyed singing through it and got one good recording with it. The lead singer of the band that brought the mic made it walk and talk.

I sing through a 545 all the time and sometime an SM 56. I like the old shure mics for vocal mics.

Here's my evaluation on the 588 Unisphere A. Strong and clear mids. Not as much proximity effect as an SM58.

Most of these mics use a screw on connector with the case being ground and a single hot pin in the middle. Two wires. High impedance only.

The older 545s used a 4 pin screw on connector and I believe they are high or low impedance. I also have a 545 with an xlr connector.

I would say that the 588 was the SM58 of it's time.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Back