Old schoolers-Moog Opus 3

pjh6467

I have a Moog Opus 3 keyboard I aquired years ago and have pulled it out recently to use in some home recording. Still works but needs a good cleaning. I'm curious how old my unit is-what year it came out. The model number is 339A. If anyone has an idea that'd be great. Also looking for tips on cleaning this internally. Should I use compressed air or some type of contact cleaner? Any replies appreciated. Thanks Pj

Moog Model: Opus 3 Production period: 1980-83

Who Played This Instrument?
Country Disco Choclate Covered Satan Group, Electronic Dream Planet, Lobster Jesus, Brian Kehew and Roger Manning of The Moog Cookbook,
Opus 3, The Rentals Sonic Boom
(of Spectrum, E.A.R., and formerly of Spacemen 3), Stereolab, The Get Up Kids,

The Manual is the link below if you need it:

http://www.vintagesynth.org/manuals/moogopus3/

Pretty nice instrument, I may be wanting one of them. :)

Attachments

• mooopus301.jpg
    mooopus301.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 52
pjh6467 said:
Should I use compressed air or some type of contact cleaner?

Both, where appropriate. Take off the top, and the bottom too if it comes off easily. Blow out the dust with compressed air, then clean the rest of the unit with q-tips and contact cleaner. And move every pot and knob back and forth briskly to help them clean themselves -- if you turn it on and one or two are still crackly, just move them back and forth until they don't make a crackle anymore.

Moog

Thank you for the cleaning tips ssscientist. I will be working on it this week. Such a neat piece of equipment! Pj

Back