Old school vs the 64th note crowd

Again, though, tell me why that if malsteen and vai were on the same stage, if you closed your eyes, most people would not know whch one was playing?

You're kidding right? They are night and day different, it's not even remotely the same.

In face this kind of thinking makes me think you just don't like the playing style and need to find some way to devalue it.

Like I was trying to say before (and now a bit more clear) "technical" vs "emotional" is a retarded argument for the merits of guitar playing. Just tell it how it is, you don't like shredding and find blues licks to be more pleasing to your ears.

I only have 3 ranks for guitar players. Bad, Good, and Incredible. John Frusciante and Steve Vai. Two VERY different guitar players. They are both incredible guitar players. Neither of them is better than the other. What's the point in debating that?

This thread makes me ponder the truly important questions. Like how many fairies can dance on the head of a pin?

Guitar playing is part of a greater whole. It's rarely worth listening to just on its own. Most electric guitar playing falls into that category. Less so with acoustic.

The Malmsteen song is such an incredibly overblown and dull piece of music that the guitar playing is irrelevant. Got about a minute in and got completely bored with such an asinine song.

The Vai song is being played in front of an orchestra with some tuning issues, and as far along as I listened, contained no shredding, although I'm sure it came later. The little runs up between notes become predictable for mine, and I really hate the completely OTT overdrive/sustain forever sound anyway. My main problem with Vai is that he's a pompous git. I'm glad he can make a living wanking off over the top of the same dull 1, 2, 3, 4 chord change for minutes on end, but it's not music, for mine.

And blues often suffers from exactly the same problems... although if I have to choose between the two, I'd go blues.

You're an idiot. There thats my words in print. Thanks for the opportunity.

If you could back up your assertions you wouldn't have to resort to insults. My apologies to everyone for the tone this took on, but this is the inevitable end point when people treat the subjective as objective.

If you could back up your assertions you wouldn't have to resort to insults. My apologies to everyone for the tone this took on, but this is the inevitable end point when people treat the subjective as objective.

There you go again. Total bollocks. I haven't treated anything as anything in this thread apart from point out where people are being idiots and I've pointed out why as well. You on the other hand have stomped all over a number of threads recently telling people what they do and don't think.

You're an idiot.

So like....what's better for good tone and playing feel.... 09's, 10's or 11's.....? :)

eatpopcorn.gif

I was talking about electrics...not acoustics. :D

(I can see the white dots in your post....'cuz I'm not using that boring/glaring white background as my BBS skin :laughings: )

mcmetal...here's Malmsteen... Now watch Vai... [/QUOTE said:
Maybe it's just me (and if it is, so be it,) but something about a "guitar (demi) god" playing in front of an orchestra is just so... freakin' self indulgent. Seeing Vai "direct" the orchestra, before he starts playing, when the orchestra already has a conductor who knows that part of making music seems to really drive that home, for me. The orchestra members, while not in formal dress, are at least wearing shirts, while the drummer is in a damn "wife beater."

I only hope the orchestral musicians were paid triple their going rate.

And yeah, I know this adds nothing to the debate- but so what? It really is a pointless debate.

There you go again. Total bollocks. I haven't treated anything as anything in this thread apart from point out where people are being idiots and I've pointed out why as well. You on the other hand have stomped all over a number of threads recently telling people what they do and don't think.

You're an idiot.

Ah, well, who isn't once in a while? Nice bit of hyperbole by the way.

Last edited:
Basically, a guitar player is only as 'good' as his audience thinks he is. Technical ability means nothing when there is no set criteria for judgement other than purely subjective audience preference.

One of my favorite players is Phil Keaggy. His fingers are directly connected to his heart. He can play at a zillion mph, or just a single note that will sing it all. He knows what the music needs and can play what the song calls for. That is a true musician. Slow hand does the same thing. It's not about "look how fast I can play" but "does it touch your soul"? I can think of many players that possess that ability and I don't have much tolerance for the Yngwie Malmmsteens. Really, the guy can play circles around most others but he bores the crap out of me. I can't take more than 30 seconds of listening to him. All flash and no substance.

Yet, maybe it's just me. I could be wrong. Pick your poison and who cares what anybody else thinks.
Play on............

B. B. King is oft quoted as saying he has very few notes, so he has to make the ones he does have count.

As to the thing somebody said up there about playing emotional solos without emotion at all, (sorry, I stopped reading after the first 10 or so posts...too many essays in this one :laughings:)...I have written emotional solos that I like and have played live many, many times. After about 50 times or so, I DO start to do them without even thinking about it. No emotion involved, yet it still sounds like it.

Back