Old school TV audio out question

Chris F

I have an older TV in my office. It sits right next to my small (Yamaha) mixing board that I use to route my computer, keyboard, and CD player signals into a pair of M-Audio BX5a speakers. I'd like to route the audio signal from the TV into the mixer as well.

The back of the TV has only a coaxial input, and the cable signal goes in there. On the front, there are two female jacks - one marked "video", and one marked "audio". These look like RCA jacks, but the hole in the middle is bigger than an RCA male plug, and plugging an RCA cable into them produces nothing but buzzy static. There is also an 1/8" "earphone" jack on the front, which I assume is for a mono audio feed (I think the whole TV, as a cheapie, only has mono audio out). What's my best wiring bet to get a signal - even a mono one - to go into the mixer and come out both monitor speakers? I don't care about hi-fi, but would like to avoid that annoying "ungrounded" sound that I've always gotten so far. Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Your local Radio Shack has a cable that will go from you 1/8" earphone jack to whatever type of inputs your Yamaha board has. That would be the quickest and the cheapest way to hook TV audio into your system --- it will be a mono signal.

I would go down the hock shop and get a cheap vcr. It has stereo outs.... Recording AI are ya? I recorded some singers they sound awesome on a good sytem :)

The headphone out jack is pretty close to -10 line level. Run a splitter cable from a 1/8" stereo mini plug (like the one on the end of cheap headphones) to two RCA male plugs. You can buy this for $10 at Radio Shack or Guitar Center. Run the 2 RCA's into the "Tape In's" on your mixer. The tape ins will come closer to matching the level of the headphone out than 1/4" line ins, which are usually +4 dBu.-Richie

Thanks everyone. I got the mono 1/8" to 2x RCA adapter and plugged the TV into the board, both in the tape and regular inputs, and it still sounds like there's a horrible grounding problem...totally unusable. Probably just an old POS TV. Oh well...

Back