old school porta studio

Wallycleaver

Hi all,
While looking around my local music store I notice what I thought was a big old mixer, the kind with 8 channels but takes up an entire desk. Upon a closer exam, There was a 1/2 reel to reel recorder where you would find the cassette on porta studio's. Does any one know who made these or anything about them?
Thanks
Wally

I saw an Akai that was like that along time ago. It was built into a roll around cart. It recorded like 12 tracks analog to VHS. Very cool. I wouldn't mind having one if I had the room for it.

The Tascam unit you're looking for is the Tascam 388 "Studio 8" (correct me if I'm wrong)...from what I hear, they are pretty darn kick ass units...and with reels instead of cassettes, they must sound much better. How much was it going for?

I found 2 for sale one is $350 and one $500. The $500 one is in better shape IE less hours, less bruises Etc. Good Deal?

If you can,try to get the heads checked out for wear and azimuth adjustment.Also check the pinch rollers and the capstan.If the heads aren't too worn,it could be a good deal,considering that the good 4 track cassette machines go for like $400 new.Cheers!

Hey,
Found one in good shape and will be purchasing it tonite!
Another question, how many feet can a 7in reel hold and how does feet translate to minutes?

Not sure how many feet a seven inch reel holds.

The minutes of recording time will vary depending on the tape speed, which is measured in inches per second (IPS).

The Tascam 388 is an 8 track recorder (thus, "Studio 8")...it uses 1/4" tape, and records at 7 1/2 ips...I might be wrong, but you see most reels coming with 2500', giving you about 30 minutes of recording time.

Back