Old School Geezer needs help

MikeA

MCI 636 console/MCI JH-24 tape machine - I knew it backwards and forwards. Harrison MR3/Studer A80 - no sweat. Trident 80B/Otari MTR-90 - not a problem. SSL/Mitsubishi digital - I drove it. Presonus Firestudio Project & Cubase LE - DEAR GOD, WHAT AM I DOING????????

There's so many different meters blinking and flashing, one minute I can see the track interrogator (or whatever it's called),the next I can't; what's following the input, what's sending to the output?? How come I hear it like it's doubled? Wait a minute, now where did it all go?

Tonight I got it all hooked up with 2 mics and I tried recording them to 2 tracks and then later on I laid down some funky mouth drums 1 track at a time - hat, kik and snare. And, I got stuff recorded and I got sound back through the Presonus to the headphones I was listening through! I still don't feel like I understand what is what though.

When I learned all this stuff so many years ago, it was all about learning the console signal flow. Then, once you understood track arming on the multitrack and whether you were listening to the input of the tape machine or the output of the console, you had it down cold. I'm trying to relate those terms and thought processes to this new fangled gear and it just isn't working. Is there anyone out there that can help me relate the old concepts to the new world? My first session is this weekend and it's a 30 person gospel choral group with 4 mics, but I really don't want to screw it up if you know what I mean.

Thanks,

Mike

Back