Old School Audio and API question

maddrummer

I've read all great things about the Old School Audio stuff and I'm really interested. The website says the rack and powersupply are compatable with the API stuff, so does that mean that the old school stuff can work in an api rack and api stuff (the 500 series) can work in an old school rack? Also, how do you guys think they compare? Thanks

Give Nathan a call at Atlas Pro Audio. He's quite up on Old School Audio, and would no doubt provide valuable information. Nathan's a straight shooter, even if he is a gear pimp (day job).

I don't think the OSA stuff works in API but all 500 series modules work in the OSA lunchbox including eq 550, 560 and the compressor 525(i think)

Teacher said:
I don't think the OSA stuff works in API but all 500 series modules work in the OSA lunchbox including eq 550, 560 and the compressor 525(i think)

I've got at least 15 customers that I know of who already previously owned API racks who have OSA preamps in those racks. And on the flip side, there are plenty of people (including myself) who have OSA racks with OSA preamps in them, with API EQ's (I've got a pair of API 550B's). So yes, they are all backwards and forward compatible. Personally I think more companies should come out with product that fits the 500 series architecture...it would make everybody's like easier on many levels.

NathanEldred said:
Personally I think more companies should come out with product that fits the 500 series architecture...it would make everybody's like easier on many levels.

That would be cool. The hard part is eating the $500 just for the rack and power supply before you can even do anything with the modules.

TexRoadkill said:
That would be cool. The hard part is eating the $500 just for the rack and power supply before you can even do anything with the modules.

Perhaps, but is that harder than paying $1000+ per channel for some similar quality (but different) preamps? You put 2 OSA's in an OSA rack, and you paid $700 total a channel....put 4 in a rack and it drops to $575 per channel, put 8 in a rack and it drops to $512.50 per channel. There are not too many high quality 2 channel preamps with transformers on the inputs and outputs for $1400 or less on the market.

I agree they are a great deal once you've decided your going to drop a few grand on preamps, EQ's or compressors. How are the compressors? I've never really heard much about them.

TexRoadkill said:
I agree they are a great deal once you've decided your going to drop a few grand on preamps, EQ's or compressors. How are the compressors? I've never really heard much about them.

They aren't shipping yet, they are currently in Beta and should be out by mid fall. We'll be showing them @ AES in Oct booth #339. Thanks.

My problem with making something compatible with the API lunchbox
format is that the power supplies are not compatible with many other
types of units, mine included.

Tim Farrant of Buzz Audio has a racking system that is more universal,
in terms of fitting everybodies needs. But it doesn't fit the mechanical
footprint of the API/OSA cards.

Anything I made to the API standards would be a serious compromise
to me.

great river lunch box in the future??

Anyone here about the Speck Lunchbox I don't think its API compat...maybe it'll be that more 'universal' format Mr. Kennedy is speaking of?

Back