Old recording engineer versus new: what am I doing wrong?

kennethhsv

Hey guys, been away for a long time...so long I forgot my account name, so I guess I will start fresh. I am having a problem with mixing & mastering YET AGAIN. I just never learn.

I have replaced the singer of a band and volunteered to mix & master tracks. I did my best, then heard their old version and it sounds so much clearer. What we have here is two different recordings of the song. I am going to list the differences. The old version is clear and precise, while the new one sounds weird to me.

Old recording: https://soundcloud.com/foot-pound-force/tv-kiss-r3
New recording: https://soundcloud.com/foot-pound-force/tv-kiss

Guitar: different everything. My setup: Ibanez on a Fender amp, mic'd, EQ'd, not compressed. Previous setup: FX pedals to direct in.
Bass: same guy. My setup: Washburn mic'd, Fender? amp, EQ'd, compressed. Previously: direct in.
Vocals: My setup: MXL condenser mic, EQ, compressed, reverb (in that order)
Drums: Same everything, but I put some reverb on the snare for pop & maybe some slight compressor.

Master: phase rotator, compressed, normalized

So, are my ears going bad? Am I too dependent on FX? What is wrong here?

I definitely don't think your version is "worse" than the original. The vocals, for one, sound much cleaner and clearer in the new version, whereas they were dull and masked-sounding in the old version.

I think in your version you have some frequencies competing in the guitar and bass, so there's a muddiness down there. Also, IMHO, the guitar is using too much distortion for this part. I think it would sound fuller with it dialed back a bit (again, IMO).

how many tracks of that rhythm guitar are playing? It sounds like one panned center to me. I would double it and split them hard left and hard right, make slight changes to each. And yes, way too much distortion. Vocals sound better on the new one. The drums are too far back, particularly the overheads.

The second was more "listenable" to me.

The drums are too far back, particularly the overheads.

Shoot, I forgot to say: these are electronic drums, both times. No overheads. A track for kick, snare, cymbals and toms.

Thanks for helping out ya'll.

EDIT: Yes, one rhythm guit track, mostly centered.

The first one r3 I only listened to for a short period. It was very muddy from the start.

The second one was much better. I agree with Beagle, some muddiness going on down in the 160-300 region, some cutting in that area might clear that up. I don't agree with the doubling of guitar. It is cool sometimes, but I don't think it always the answer.

I think some tweaking on the bass, vocals and guitar (just slight, not going overboard) would fix this mix really nice. When you get this close, it really is just a matter of slight adjustments.

The 2nd one is "clearer" but very narrow. Double tracked & hard panned guitar with a more natural breakup would sound better.

I think the older version sounds more "organic" than the one you've recorded. I definately hate the sound of the electronic drums...it sounds bad IMO.

The vocals on your version is way better than the other one...but I prefer the guitars of the other mix.

I think the older version sounds more "organic" than the one you've recorded.

Maybe that's what I was liking about it. Studio magic makes things sound so good, but also so unreal. I don't have a good balance between the two yet.

I definately hate the sound of the electronic drums...it sounds bad IMO.

The drummer wants what he wants. I'm the new guy, so it's not my place to say. Any suggestions about working with them?

Back