Old peavey mixers any good? $100 for 16 channels....

yoyo

At your service
hey guys

there's an old peavey mixer at my local guitar store. it's 16 channels, 12 XLR inputs. no xlr output (not a big deal, cuz i don't need it, i'm using 1/4" out to my fire wire solo).

the price? $100. i could get it down to $80. i don't know the model, but it's oldish, but still looks in great condition. i need a mixer for podcasting and just a general mixer. should i jump on this deal?>

if it's an AMT model they are very cool.... if not well you could do worse and for that kinda money it's hard to go wrong... most of the peaveys were'nt really known for being that cool soniclly but more for their reliability on the road... you can kick that bitch outta the truck and pickit up and use it every night...

My experience as a Peavey customer for over 30 years is that the stuff Hartley Peavey markets is usually designed with gigging musicians in mind--where the concerns are more directed to reliability and consistency and some sort of economy rather that attaining some sort of intangible "tonal perfection" with a cost of megabucks.
In other words, Peavey stuff is designed more for the road musician on a budget and not the studio.
And with those "limitations" in mind, Peavey works very well.

Unless it is an AMR mixer - which it obviously isn't (as far as I know, the AMR was like a 24x8 or a 32x8 or something like that), I wouldn't mess with it for recording. A Behringer would probably less noisy.:eek:
Peavey gear is great for the working musician who is playing clubs - it's heavy duty for that purpose.

But it's not quite what you want for recording, especially in digital.....

Tim

Unless it is an AMR mixer - which it obviously isn't (as far as I know, the AMR was like a 24x8 or a 32x8 or something like that), I wouldn't mess with it for recording. A Behringer would probably less noisy.:eek:
Peavey gear is great for the working musician who is playing clubs - it's heavy duty for that purpose.

Tim
Peavey had an AMR ( AUDIO MEDIA RESEARCH) brand. They were in bed with some onther company and had this line of consoles. They are not bad. I have an AMR production series I bought from John Kay of Steppenwolf. 36 input 24 monitor. Good pre's, fair eq. I bought an Onyx for live gigs and I consider the pres and eq. in the Onyx better than AMR.But AMR looks very cool for clients. Very big and impressive. Peter Cetera from Chcogo uses one and Kenny Loggins.

Peavey had an AMR ( AUDIO MEDIA RESEARCH) brand. They were in bed with some onther company and had this line of consoles. They are not bad. I have an AMR production series I bought from John Kay of Steppenwolf. 36 input 24 monitor. Good pre's, fair eq. I bought an Onyx for live gigs and I consider the pres and eq. in the Onyx better than AMR.But AMR looks very cool for clients. Very big and impressive. Peter Cetera from Chcogo uses one and Kenny Loggins.

I know, I want an AMR. I'm fine with the EQ on it because I mainly just use the on board EQ's for cutting - if I'm going to boost - I normally will patch in a parametric because I know I'll be using a batter EQ for it.

A local club had an AMR back in the late 90's and I wanted it so badly.

Tim

Tim

remember, this would be mainly for podcasting, and as a starter mixer. the behringer of the same size would cost me 3x as much, and i'm a teen, i'm poor...

Great info here, I never realized Peavey was more for the road, and not as much for the studio.

Great info, thanks guys.

I don't know, $100 for a 6 channel sounds like a good starter. EQ out the hiss and it should be good to go.

$100 for 16 channels and it works, go get it.

By the time you outgrow the funcionality of it (or it finally dies) you will be ready for an upgrade anyway.

Is CRATE equipment along the same lines as Peavey..... ie: good for the road, but not sonically good for studio?

Peavey and Crate have always seems like a "cheaper" and not as good alternative to me.

Is CRATE equipment along the same lines as Peavey..... ie: good for the road, but not sonically good for studio?

Peavey and Crate have always seems like a "cheaper" and not as good alternative to me.
Crate sucks, although, you can find a good unit, but you'd have better luck with Peavey.

AMR... i mistakenly out amt... BTW the cheif designer for the AMR stuff was john roberts who's a regular in the geekslutz section at GS if ya want the straigh poop on them.... as to crate... stay away from the proaudio... it's a joke but the guitar amps have a few shining examples... the new class A's for one... and of course the bass amp dividion is Ampeg so it's not all crap....

Crate and ampeg have nothing to do with each other, they are just owned by the same company.
I've run into a couple of Crate bass combos that would do the job and was pretty cheap. But, for the same money I could do better at the pawnshop and get a Eden or Trace Elliot.

Back