Old microphones

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I'm always checking out microphones I see on old TV shows - game shows mostly. In my online searches today, I came across these two sites. The first has the Shure SM5, and the second is a Reverb page with some nice pics of one for sale at the time but has sold.

The SM5 is shown as a boom mic used for capturing dialogue on movie/TV sets. It's described at being very good at picking up dialog and rejecting everything else.

$650 5 years ago....SM5.

That AKG 412 is cool looking, reverb has one at $6000. not including fees and taxes.

EV....the old brand names...Sony was around, never knew anyone that had Sony mics.

Man . . . $6000 . . . WHEW! I read a bit closer on the 412 and it says it can be phantom powered by a tape recorder. I knew consoles could deliver phantom power, but I wasn't aware tape recorders could do this. Interesting stuff.

The C-412 may be phantom powered by the c.c. supply in most input equipment (console, tape recorder, etc.)

$650 5 years ago....SM5.

That AKG 412 is cool looking, reverb has one at $6000. not including fees and taxes.

EV....the old brand names...Sony was around, never knew anyone that had Sony mics.
The Sony C-37's & 38's are great mics. I was introduced to them in the 1970's. I prefer them to Neumann U-87's.

Be careful about "Old" phantom power! There were several systems developed and some might fork modern mics.
One system relied on centre tapped transformers each end with a DC supply in the centre (AC ground) line.

Of course, back in the day, virtually all pre amps had input transformers and it was also thought that the primary needed to be C tapped to ground to work as 'balanced'.

Jusfort! Our dear old Sweetbeats might have come across such pre amps?

Dave.

The Sony C-37's & 38's are great mics. I was introduced to them in the 1970's. I prefer them to Neumann U-87's.

This is funny, because I just watched something with Daniel Lenios last night, and I think he mentions the Sony C-38 as his favorite mic.

Back