Old feller needs help

zooterman

Hi.
Can someone tell me how to set cool edit to record on 2 channels Stereo. I've tried but using an old brain.
Thanks

What are you recording and with what? A guitar or mic is a mono input, so we need a little more information. Can you explain what you are trying to do?

PS: I'm old too.

Well, I'm not that far behind you and my wife is originally from Llanrwst which isn't THAT far from you!

When you arm the track for recording, the screen you get should offer you the option of mono or stereo. However, as Washburn100 says, if you're recording a mono source like a microphone, depending how you have it plugged in that'll probably end up only being in one track if you select the stereo option.

If that's the problem, just select mono and your sound will come from both speakers or both sides of the headphones. If you must have stereo (for example to burn to CD) just use Edit/Convert sample type to convert to stereo later--that'll put the same information on both sides of a stereo track.

Bob

Thans All.
I want to record some vinyl onto my hard drive, when I hit "new session" I get a window with a lot of tracks, I only want 2 tracks, but cannot seem to find how to do it.
Thanks.
Wal

a seperate question then ...... do you have a phono preamp to run the turntable into? You pretty much HAVE to have one or some sorta plug in that'll do the same thing because of the RIAA curve.

My set up is working fine, sound is shown on the meters of cool edit, all I need to know is how do I set cool edit to record on 2 channels (stereo)

but turntables HAVE to run thru something that'll correct the RIAA curve.
As I said, that's a seperate issue from the cool edit question.

Hi Zooterman.

Just to record a simple stereo track, you don't need to use a Session.

Go to "Edit View" (exactly where to click for this will depend on which version of Cool Edit you have) and you'll go to a simpler, single track screen.

When you hit the red recording button you should get a screen asking what bit and sample rates to use--and also with a selection between mono and stereo. Obviously you want stereo. If you're planning to burn your vinyl to CD, you also want to select 16 bit and 44.1kHz sampling which is the CD standard.

From memory of CE, you can also right click on the track display side of the Edit screen and set the recording details there...but it's some years since I've had that programme installed and there have been some changes now that it's "Audition".

Lt. Bob is right about needing some form of phono pre-amp but, as you're getting good levels into CE I assume you're either going through some form of HiFi amp or have a USB turntable, either of which has the phono pre amp built in.

Bob

Thanks Bob.
I have cool edit 2, I was having another go today and finally sussed it out, I did what you said in your post, What I am doing is recording a load of old 78 records so that I can put them on CD, your bit about 16bit & 44.1Khz was helpfull. What I want to do is give the details of the recording by voice and then record the record, I want to say this is recorded by Blah Blah by voice and then record the record. but HOW do I do that.
I am recording through an Amp.
Once again thanks everyone.
Wal

There are several ways to do this.

First off, both your mic and the 78rpm records are mono sources but, to playback in a standard CD player, your final results have to be stereo files.

If it was me, I'd probably plug in your mic and, in edit view, record a bunch of voice files. Save each one with a name that makes sense. You can do these recordings in mono.

Then I'd record the various records, saving each of them separately.

Then open the Voice ident for the first track you want--hit "Edit/Insert in Multitrack session". Open the appropriate record track and insert that in multitrack too. Go to multitrack view and you'll have your voice in track 1 and the music in track 2. Right click and hold the record track and drag it to the right so it starts after the voice finishes--you can put in as much or little space as you want.

When you're happy, click Edit/Mixdown. This should give you an option to mix as mono or stereo--select stereo. When the mix is finished, save it with the name you want to use. Repeat for all your tracks then make your CD.

In the midst of this you can tweak levels, add noise reduction, whatever your want.

It's also possible to do all the above in Edit view but the above was easier to explain.

Bob

Back