Old Fart wants to post his first MP3.

clivus

Puttin my mix where my mouth is. I don't have a website, so what is a good way to post it so that it can be accessed by this forum?

Thanks for any suggestions!

lightningmp3 is run by one of our members, NL5. I've had problems in the past with posting to it. If you do also, Soundclick is another option.

hmmmm IF I ever recorded something I'd need to share it ....... maybe I will and now I know where.

:D:D:D

Maybe I won't though ......... ok, I won't.

whew! that was close

lightningmp3 is run by one of our members, NL5. I've had problems in the past with posting to it.
Chili, do you know if NL5 still around? I tried posting a file to Lightningmp3 just last night but never received the confirmation e-mail with the link.

One of the problems I have with soundclick is that you give all rights to your files over to them when you post them there. Some indie artists are OK with that, but as an engineer for other artists I can't legally or ethically do that.

G.

Chili, do you know if NL5 still around? I tried posting a file to Lightningmp3 just last night but never received the confirmation e-mail with the link.

One of the problems I have with soundclick is that you give all rights to your files over to them when you post them there. Some indie artists are OK with that, but as an engineer for other artists I can't legally or ethically do that.

G.

Yes, NL5 is still around. I had the same problem with not receiving an email.

Yeah, I remember something vaguely about Soundclick using your tunes for promotional purposes. I can understand why you would have a problem with that.

Yeah, I remember something vaguely about Soundclick using your tunes for promotional purposes.
While they do have a couple of items in their TOS referring to using your stuff for "promotional purposes", they can go above and beyond that. Here's the operative term:
Soundclick Terms of Service said:
You hereby grant to us, and by the act of delivering Standard Program Material to us grant to us, a nonexclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to: (a) reproduce, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display and digitally perform the Standard Program Material in whole or in part (including the right to create compilations which include your songs);
And if you terminate your relationship with them, not all rights are rescinded:
Upon termination, all of our license rights terminate, except that we retain those rights necessary for us to sell any CDs or other tangible goods which we have produced prior to the date of termination which incorporate any of your Material

Again, for a lot of you indie artists out there, you may not care or may actually like these terms. That's cool. But for those who record other bands or artists, like I do, it might be wise to find another server than Soundclick to shop your wares unless you get legal permission from your clients to legally represent them on Soundclick:
This agreement describes the legal relationship between you (an individual artist, or, in the case where you are involved with a band, an individual acting as the legal representative of your band)
This means that if there is something fuzzy about the band's music (illegal samples, copyright issues, etc.), you will be responsible for it.

G.

Check your spam folder. That's what happened to me.
Thanks for the tip, YnM! I already checked that, though; plus I have posted to that server before and have it's e-mail addy whitelisted to get through my sentries, so that's not the issue.

And before someone says it, yes, I know I put the proper address in the submission form; in fact it pasted automatically from my browser. So that's not the issue either.

I'll just have to get hold of NL5 and ask him whazzup.

G.

bandcamp.com

this site is extremely user-friendly, and allows people to download your files in any format they wish, .flac, .mp3, etc. Streaming too. Easy, looks pretty, FREE.

I just spent a few minutes checking out this site, and man, I have to say, it looks very cool. I like the concept of the buzz feature on the stats page, which can show you the links from which people are clicking/linking into your songs. Also, the download options, and the metadata that comes with the audio file when it's downloaded is very nice. I might have to switch over from soundclick for this, especially after reading about the turning over of some song rights to soundclick in the standard agreement.

Does anyone else have experience with bandcamp?

Best Regards,

Dave DeWhitt

P.S. After reading back through this it looks a bit suspicious, but I promise, I have no affiliation with bandcamp.com :)

Back