Old dog, new tricks - improve vocal range?

pure.fusion

Hi all,

Non singer here. No regular use, no training, no nothin'. Just a few songs sung for weekend recording fun.

I've now got a bit of a challenge ahead and need to sing outside my limited range.

So, quick and easy question without going too deep: is it possible to improve your range over say a 8 to 12 weeks? I really need another 2 to 3 semitones above what I can comfortable sing now. Should I look into this as a solution?

Cheers,
FM

I agree with ido1957 that you should see if you can transpose the key. A large part of vocal performance is being comfortable. If you are not comfortable with the range, it will show through in your voice and the performance will suffer for it.

I agree with ido1957 that you should see if you can transpose the key. A large part of vocal performance is being comfortable. If you are not comfortable with the range, it will show through in your voice and the performance will suffer for it.

Thanks all for your feedback.

Thanks Triquee for your advice on my voice's purpose, but really it's up to me whether or not I want to let the performance suffer or not.

Ido1957 thinks I won't gain the range, although there's absolutely no supporting info there so I'll have to just statistically jot that down as a "1 against" from "the forum".

I'm just after some basic hard vocal facts on whether or not a person will gain range over time or not.

Cheers

Thanks all for your feedback.

Thanks Triquee for your advice on my voice's purpose, but really it's up to me whether or not I want to let the performance suffer or not.

Ido1957 thinks I won't gain the range, although there's absolutely no supporting info there so I'll have to just statistically jot that down as a "1 against" from "the forum".

I'm just after some basic hard vocal facts on whether or not a person will gain range over time or not.

Cheers

Hmm...

Determination can help, but I think it takes a little more than determination. I think that it especially takes time - of which you have very little to do what you are proposing to do.

I have been singing for 25 years. I'm no vocal coach. I can only speak from my intimate experiences as a vocalist who has been honing the craft for two and a half decades. But, I think in order to do what you're wanting to do will take either more time than you've got or some serious dedication + strict adherence to a rehearsal schedule and a vocal coach. In my experience, it isn't enough to be able to hit the note. You have to be able to hit the note with absolute certainty and comfort. You have to be able to reproduce the desired effect every time under any set of circumstances. That kind of skill and assuredness takes time and experience to develop.

Good luck to ya.

A few years ago, I decided to take some vocal lessons after having been a "self taught" rock & roll singer for a few decades (yes, I too am an old dog).

By learning some correct posture and breathing techniques I quickly picked up a semi-tone on the high end and after severl weeks of classes and some serious determination to actual discipline myself to use the proper technique I picked up another semi-tone.

So within a couple of months I did add a full tone and with continued practice I can at times even get an additional semi tone on the high end (and I picked up a tone on the low end as well.

However, that was with some very good one-on one voice lessons and a lot of serious wood shedding.

Could you add a couple of semi-tones - maybe. Are you willing to make that bet for a public performance??????

Could you add a couple of semi-tones - maybe. Are you willing to make that bet for a public performance??????

Nope. It's just a fun home recording. I'll take the best bits of 5 vocal takes for the main parts and for the difficult stuff I'll chip away at indefinitely untill I nail just one - you know, like I always do.

It's the luxury of time. :)

Back