Old cards? USB2

josesequeira

Hi there, cards like midiman audiophile´s been around for quite a long time. In the near future there will probably appear better solutions. The USB2 seem´s a good way to go with audio!! What´s your opinion?

The Audiophile as well as any PCI card will always outperform any USB or Firewire interface

USB 2.0 - 480Mbits/sec or 60Mbytes/sec (theoretically - not the case in real world applications)

Firewire - 400Mbits/sec or 50Mbytes/sec

PCI - 100Mbytes/sec and higher

USB was never intended as and never will be a good solution for audio/video.

and a mainframe will ALWAYS outperform a unix server, and a unix server will ALWAYS outperform an NT server.

come on babyboy.

even though i agree that PCI outperforms USB and firewire let's not say that USB2 is not suitable for audio, because it is. I've read the white papers.

crosstudio said:
and a mainframe will ALWAYS outperform a unix server, and a unix server will ALWAYS outperform an NT server.

come on babyboy.

even though i agree that PCI outperforms USB and firewire let's not say that USB2 is not suitable for audio, because it is. I've read the white papers.

Whitepapers are one thing, real world performance is another. I've read reviews were actual data rates are around 200-300Mbits/sec.

If you do your research, you will also realize that USB was never intened for high bandwidth applications not just because of its speed, but also because of the way its communications protocol was written. That is not the case with Firewire as its original purpose was for DV and home networking.

The bigger picture here is that you pay a premium for USB and Firewire audio and you get less performance than a PCI counterpart.

If you absolutely need USB or Firewire or have a ton of $$ to blow, by all means go for it. Otherwise spend your money wisely on what will work better in the end.

i agree about the intended purpose of USB and although the underlying architecture for 2.0 has been modified the firewire architecture is just plain better.

the only point of contention is that I am currently using USB to record outside of the studio with my laptop and a US-428. it would be a big pain in the bunz to bring my desktop and my rack-mounted Tango24 D/A/D. USB makes it easier to get stuff done outside the traditional studio environment.

crosstudio said:
i agree about the intended purpose of USB and although the underlying architecture for 2.0 has been modified the firewire architecture is just plain better.

the only point of contention is that I am currently using USB to record outside of the studio with my laptop and a US-428. it would be a big pain in the bunz to bring my desktop and my rack-mounted Tango24 D/A/D. USB makes it easier to get stuff done outside the traditional studio environment.

A PC-Card solution from Echo would still outperform USB or Firewire as its bandwidth is closer to PCI.;)

brzilian said:

A PC-Card solution from Echo would still outperform USB or Firewire as its bandwidth is closer to PCI.;)

I think that there comes a point where you don't seek the fastest but what's good enough to fulfill you needs. USB(2) will do that in many cases. One very cool thing of an USB solution is that it would not only work well with a laptop but it can be used with a desktop PC just as easily.

Back