Old cakewalk version records intermittently

dafisk

I bought an old 4.00 version of Cakewalk on eBay for cheap. This is my first experience with computer-based recording. I only use it to record audio (not MIDI). When I click the record button, it sometimes records and sometimes doesn't. I can't figure out anything that makes it work or not work consistently. 1-Is this a characteristic of that old version? 2-Is there anything I can do to make it work consistently?
Bonus question: How dumb am I to keep using this old version when I can upgrade to a new one?

In my memory Cakewalk 4 recorded only MIDI, and let you trigger audio events, but did not record audio per se.

No, it records audio pretty well--just not consistently. It imports wave files and does a fair job of editing audio stuff too. I wish it had graphic EQ and effects. Never having worked with a newer version, I don't know what I'm missing. If somebody feels like telling me, I'd be delighted.

Dude v4... that's like '50s television man! :) I've actually used CW since v1 (late '80's) still have the boxes sitting around heh.

Yeah so you could probably buy a copy of Pro Audio 9 pretty cheap considering how many people have gone to SOnar. But if you have the $$$ go Sonar to make your life a lot easier. Heck, it even records all of the time lol.

What are you missing? An interface designed in the current decade, powerful editing tools, real-time audio effects with around 30 or so useful plugins shipping as part of the software, a huge world of 3rd party DirectX plugins available to do everything from reverb to making toast with jelly, a huge community of users sharing information, real VU meters, slick cut & paste track editing with scissor tools, mix automation, curve overlays, a visual mixer, etc. etc. etc.

go to cakewalk.com and breathe in the goodness. :)

I still have V4...It does 8 tracks of Audio and 256 of midi. I still use it occasionally, its a little quirky to setup, but once its configured everything is just fine...pay close attention to what the channel settings are, whether they defaulted to midi or audio.

Peace,
Dennis

Back