Oktava MK012 as Overheads?

thecongo

I was planning to buy the matched pair of these they have going on musicians friend for $199 for drum overheads for my setup that could also double as vocal mics. Any opinions or objections? It would be most appreciated. thanks!

Guitar Center is selling two MK012's for $149 today through Sunday. That's a good price if you have a GC near you.

I got a pair at GC months ago for the same price (149). They're a great value and excellent investment IMO. I use them as drum overheads and have had great success recording acoustic guitar w/ them as well. Get 'em!!

Michael

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

The reason people p[ay a premium price and buy them from the Sound Room is because the quality control on Oktavas is pretty shitty, and they check each mic before selling it. If you buy from Guitar Center, audition them first - try to find two that sound similar. If you are planning on buying them mail order from anyone else but the Sound Room, DON'T DO IT! You might just get lucky, but you might not!

I just bought two of these today at GC. WOw, what a price!!
but yes....QC is an issue so I made sure that I could bring em back. Luckly, I tested them at home and they sound great together.

Well, I'll go get a pair tomorrow and see what they sound like.

I should mention that these are not being sold as matched pairs, but rather "two for one."

It's also been my experience that the McKay Oktavas do seem to be improving in terms of both QC and quality of their component parts.

It's hard to imagine an MK-012 not being worth $75, particularly when they are so easily tweaked to superior performance by the substitution of a couple of hard-to-get western components for under $10 per microphone.

I might get a pair of these too-But I will be checking them closely first---Earlier this week we ordered 2 mk319's for 299 from musicians friend-pretty good deal I'd say except one of the mics had a dented grill and if you shook it even slightly you could feel the diaphragm moving around. Definetely going back-musicians friend was pretty nice about it though-they're paying for shipping and re-shipping of course. Just gotta roll the dice again.

Bongolation-Do you have any more info or a link to this tweak?

I own a pair from the sound room and they are workhorse mics. I have a cardioid pair and one omni capsule for close mic'ing. They are simply the best bang for buck small diaphragm condenser going. Are you serious? 2 for $150? I'd do it in a heartbeat. And whoever said they won't sound good on vocals (?Chessrock), I disagree respectfully. Not only are they lovely for coincedent overheads or spaced stereo mics on group vocals, but at least 2 of the tracks on my current project will be recorded singing into 1 cardioid 012 with a pop filter. For some material, I like the up front sound of the 012. However, don't screw up in any way, or this mic will record your screwup accurately and for all time. These are wonderful mics for vocals, but they are unforgiving and brutally accurate.-Richie

That was me. I agree they would excell as choir mics but for close vocal work I've found them too prone to plosives. Even with a pop filter. Just my experience but as in all matters, YMMV:D .

I have a question on the 012a's.

From waht I have read with the regular 012's you can buy the additional capsules to give you the three polar patterns from one mic (or mic body to be more precise).

I picked up the 012a's wich do not have the switchable capsule option and they are my first SD condensors ( I have 1 MXL v-67M) at the GC price of $150.

Which polar pattern are the 012a's?

I assume it would be the same as the standard 012's without the extra capsules. They came with the nice little plastic case and -10dB pad attatchment but they were the last pair in the case and came with no paperwork or registration card. I found a Russian manufactuers web site but it was of little use.

I believe the MK012a's are fixed cardioid mics. Sorry Chessrock, didn't mean to attribute to you. Trackrat- that's what I mean about technique. If you pop, MK012 will pop, so don't do it. These mics require a singer that can control aspirated consonants. Watch your P's and B's, and cut off sibilants (SSSS's). I would only use these mics for solo vocals with a vocalist with impressive mic technique. I'm lucky enough to have 3 of them.-Richie

Richard,

Thanks for you response but it sounds like you are not 100% sure about the cardioid part...I do know they are fixed to one pattern.

I'm assuming cardioid unless I hear otherwise I won't get to play with them till Tuesday.

Did anyone else get any informaion with their 012a's such as warranty registration?

I just got the plastic box with the body, attatchable -10dB pad and the "cap" or what ever it is...I don't think it is a wind screen.

I'm not sure how the pad and cap screw on and I don't want to screw up the screw on or I'm screwed in the microphone department.:D

HELP

the cap has a picture of a heart on it. I think it's safe to say that it's cardioid.

as far as screwing them together....it should be obvious. Lefty loosy, righty tighty...

and the cap is NOT a windscreen...do not blow into it. These things are very very sensitive to wind. that's why they are hard to use for vox.

-Chris

Bongolation-Do you have any more info or a link to this tweak?
Here's a long discussion of Oktava modifications. Look for the exchanges between Scott Dorsey and me, particularly:

The Oktava Modification Thread

Mostly the mod - which is also good for MK-219s and MK-319s - is replacing a couple of dubious 680M Russian resistors with 1G (!) US resistors and putting a better capacitor between them. Also important is cleaning and conformal-coating the circuitry in this extremely Hi-Z circuit. When you have a resistor with a BILLION ohms, any moisture, hand grease, condensation, etc. will short it.

OK, so wait...

Let's get caught up here: Did anyone get a boxed MATCHED SET, or did everyone just get two random microphones?

I'm hearing the following:

My GC here in N. California says that that the sale is good through 4 July and that it's just two-for-one - no boxed matched set.

Another guy some other place says that his GC has no sale on them at all.

Where did you learn about the sale? Radio ad, or what?

Thanks for any clarification.

I'm the one that said they were on sale through today-Sunday. Guitar Center is selling the MK012's as buy one and get the second one for free, NOT as a matched pair. That's why I didn't buy them. The only reason I would buy two of anything, with the exception of SM-57s or tom mikes, is to record in stereo. I think one SHOULD buy a matched pair through the Soundroom if they want to do stereo miking.

The Guitar Center I was at in La Mesa, California had 115 in stock on Friday, and Guitar Centers are also selling the MK-219 and MK-319 as buy one-get one free. I received GC's national flier through the mail, that's how I first heard of the sale.

As far as the matched stereo thing goes, I don't know how much that matters at this price point. Maybe if I were getting a couple of Neumann km184s I'd worry about a matched pair.

This is one of those deals where if you just want one, then buy two and sell the other one on ebay for $110 and make an extra $35 out of the deal. :)

OK, cool. Yes, a matched pair would certainly be more attractive, but two-for-one ain't bad just to have an extra for trading stock or EBay fodder or something... $75 a pop... If MK-219s are 2/$99, that'd be pretty impressive, too.

I'll have to go to my POB and see if I got that mailing. I get different stuff from GC than other folks do, it seems, or nothing at all.

Thanks for the clarification. The GC Pro Audio newbie I talked to on the phone was totally in the dark about all of this.

Back