Oktava MK 012 or Cascade fathead II for overheads

Oh! Henry

I'm looking for a matched pair of mics to use mainly as overheads. I have a chance at picking up a pair of oktava's on the used market but have been reading up on the fathead II as well and they are getting good reviews as overheads. I'm gonna be recording my rockabilly band so a warm lo-fi, vintage sound is kind of what I'm after however I'd still like it to be versatile enough if I end up recording other types of music and instruments/voices.

If it makes a difference, my room is fairly small (12 x 10) but I do have treatment and bass traps set up in the 4 corners of the room.

Anyone have experience with these mics?

Both are great as overhead microphones.
If it were me I would go with the Oktava MK012 pair ---- What am I saying. If it were me I would get both the Cascade and Oktava pairs!!!

The fat heads will have a recording lob on both sides of the microphone ... that would be the only thing that I would bring to the table on this thread. Other than you can keep purchasing different heads for the Oktava microphones.

So if I had to choose ..... Guess it would have to be the MK012 first.

The Oktava MK012 pairs are one of the most versatile mic sets I've ever used. And trust me when I say I've used them for pretty much most common mic purposes and they deliver nicely. As previously mentioned.........you can add heads to your collection and expand your abilities. However........you mention that you're after a "lo-fi"......"vintage" sound. "Lo-fi" to me means a less than average recording result...............or an effect that can be added.......but in my opinion only........the Oktava's are by no means "lo-fi".

Two completely different mics. One a figure 8 ribbon, the other an SDC with options of capsule changes. I like a ribbon on OH's, seems to tame a little of the harshness sometimes found in the cymbals. That is one tough call as I could see both producing fine results. I like ribbons on OH's live also for the rejection of the figure 8 to the surrounding instruments. Get them both, I like the very nice option. Another note on the Oktava's, there is a capsule by Lolar that threads on an MC012 that is a pure killer. Not cheap but worth every penny.

If money was no object I would have already bought both and no one would be answering this question :D

Although the versatility and quality of the Oktava's appeal to me, I'm afraid they may not sound as good in my room which although treated is not the best environment to be recording. Would my small room have any effect on the choice?

Regarding the Lo-Fi comment. It's not so much that I want it to sound like it was poorly recorded, what I mean is that I would like it to have that Sun records vintage kind of vibe, without having to dish out on a bunch of vintage mics equipement and the price tags they come with!!!

Well if you're after 50's vintage, ribbons were quite common during that time and the MC012 didn't exist. I guess that might help.

If your afraid of the quality of the Oktavas in your room - I would be more concerned with the ribbon microphones.

But that's just me.

For a true *Sun Recording vibe* of the drums ... I would suggest just one Large condenser diaphragm microphone strategically placed in front of the drums. :thumbs up:

Moresound.....did you just convince me to buy neither set!!!! :D

The one mic technique is intriguing, must look it up........ But what do I do with the 400$ burning a hole in my wallet??? :eek:

If your afraid of the quality of the Oktavas in your room - I would be more concerned with the ribbon microphones.

But that's just me.

For a true *Sun Recording vibe* of the drums ... I would suggest just one Large condenser diaphragm microphone strategically placed in front of the drums. :thumbs up:

Moresound.....did you just convince me to buy neither set!!!! :D

The one mic technique is intriguing, must look it up........ But what do I do with the 400$ burning a hole in my wallet??? :eek:

Just purchase a nice Large diaphragm condenser microphone. ;)

I'll throw this in as a question/consideration as I've not used the fatheads overhead- How much impact will the rear lobes have re; the ceiling? No doubt it will depend a lot on ceiling height, whether it's treated or not etc.

I actually already have a couple of LDC, AT4040 and Rode NT1a so I can probably throw one of those in front of the kit.

Give the 4040 a try. you'll just have to experiment with positioning till you find the sweet spot.

I'll throw this in as a question/consideration as I've not used the fatheads overhead- How much impact will the rear lobes have re; the ceiling? No doubt it will depend a lot on ceiling height, whether it's treated or not etc.

This was in my thoughts as well.

Thanks for the replies, I'll definatley be looking into the one mic drum technique, but I still need to spend my 400$!!!! :)

Here is another "old-time" Drum Kit mic technique.
Small Diaphragm Condensor about 3 drum sticks high above snare.
Large Diaphragm Condensor about 3ft in front of kit at 24"-30" above floor.
Adjust to "taste". :D

Back