Oktava Mic Pack from Guitar Center

toadies

Was browsing thou the online Guitar Center Catalog and found this deal.

3 Oktava MK219 condensor mics, 1 Oktava MK319 studio condenser mic, 2 Oktava MK012 condenser mics, 2 SM012 Microphone shock mounts, the Oktava SM319 Microphone shock mount and 6 PRO20M 20' mic cables

all for $499.99, is this worth the value? what other deals are out there.

As the package stands, it is not a bad deal when you consider the common street price of these items: MK319 = $100, MK219 = 80, MC012 = 100, Shocks = $30, Cables = $15, Total = about $700.

But they were recently selling the MK319 for $79. Myself and others have bought the MC012 for $70-75. The MK219 is generally considered one of the worst condensers ever made. I don't think shock mounts are usually necessary for for small condensers. I don't use them. How good are those mic cables. Do you really need six mics.

If it were me, I could see buying the MK319 and a couple of MC012s (which I think are great mics) for a total of $230. But the rest of the package, no matter how much of a bargain, does not appeal to me. I'd rather spend the left over $300 on a respected and versatile mic like the AT4033 or 4040 or one of the great vocal dynamic mics (used) like the MD441, SM7, or RE20 that some of our more experienced members have been recommending.

MK219

My first post here....

I'm interested to see why you guys think the MK219s aren't so great. I use a stereo pair of them for live recording of concerts (symphonic bands, jazz bands, brass bands, etc.), and I've gotten very good results. Are you talking more about in terms of studio use? Thanks for your input...

Andrew

I have an Oktava MC319 and two Oktava MC-012's... I use to have a Oktava MC219 but sold it because I thought it sounded cheap and I just didn't like it... but, that's just my opinion. I don't have the MC219 anymore so I can't really tell you more than that.

One thing you need to watchout for is... not all Oktava mic's sound the same due to their poor QC... and I suggest you listen to a lot of them before you buy... or get them for the soundroom. http://www.oktava.com

DJL said:
One thing you need to watchout for is... not all Oktava mic's sound the same due to their poor QC... and I suggest you listen to a lot of them before you buy... or get them for the soundroom. http://www.oktava.com
Get them for the soundroom? I think they have plenty. They don't need me to buy any for them.:)

cominginsecond said:
Get them for the soundroom? I think they have plenty. They don't need me to buy any for them.:)

Oops lol, sorry for the typo... that should have read "or get them FROM the soundroom". Thanks cominginsecond. :)

Re: MK219

AndrewD300 said:
My first post here....

I'm interested to see why you guys think the MK219s aren't so great. I use a stereo pair of them for live recording of concerts (symphonic bands, jazz bands, brass bands, etc.), and I've gotten very good results. Are you talking more about in terms of studio use? Thanks for your input...

Andrew

I have one MK219 and two MK319 and 1 ML-ribbon mic. I got lucky. All my Oktavas are great sounding. Some others have had problems. I think for the sound of a good one vs. the price on sale, there is no better deal out there. But, you have to be prepared to return some till you find a good one. I just got lucky. I listened to none of them. I just bought them on sale and brought them home to try for an hour or so. All are very good with the ML52 and MK319s being the best sounding. The 219 are great for guitar cabs. I have not tried them on much else yet.

I'd like to know more about your opinion of your ML-ribbon mic... how's it sound compared to some of the other mic's you have and etc... also can it handle high SPL's? Thanks.

Long time ago, I read that Taylor (from the Soundroom) couldn't stand behind the newer Oktava ribbon. Said that there were huge problems with it, that hadn't been worked out before it was taken to market.

Recommended that the questioner grap some beyer ribbons off Ebay instead.

-J

Are the 319's the same as the 219's in a different body?
I love my 319. It is one on my most used vocal mics.

Yes, it's the same mic, different body, but from what I heard the body resonances had a significant negative impact on the sound of the mic. Just hearsy though, I've only used the 319.

DJL said:
I'd like to know more about your opinion of your ML-ribbon mic... how's it sound compared to some of the other mic's you have and etc... also can it handle high SPL's? Thanks.

I have the ML-52 firmly planted on the guitar cabs. It is a great sounding mic for that and *some* vocalists. The guitar sounds are like an SM 57 opened up. I love this mic *but* you really need high- end pre-amps to get the clean gain. Like all ribbons, the output is low.

For the singers I have used it on, the sound is round and smooth unlike a condensor. This mic is good on my vocal sound (Phil Collins, transparent) and fills it out very well. It shure can take 100w amp no problem.

This is all I have used it on so far.

tdukex said:
If it were me, I could see buying the MK319 and a couple of MC012s (which I think are great mics) for a total of $230. But the rest of the package, no matter how much of a bargain, does not appeal to me. I'd rather spend the left over $300 on a respected and versatile mic like the AT4033 or 4040 or one of the great vocal dynamic mics (used) like the MD441, SM7, or RE20 that some of our more experienced members have been recommending.

Ditto. Here's what we have found at our studio. #1 The 319 is a very good mic. With a good mic pre it can sound nicely warm on vocals. It sees time on vocalists with extremely bright voices here, and is my personal choice for mandolin. 219 sounds different, and unless you are prepared to mod it, pretty unusable IMO. #2 The MC012's are great mics too. Regarding bad Oktava QC, if you can get a good one, running into a good pre, it can stand up to mics costing considerbly more- like KM84's & 451's at times. I've been suprised by ours many time. These mics are so cheap, and so good, its ridiculous. I'm alway looking to pick up another pair on the cheap. Just get a chance to listen to them at the store, because typically GC wont let you return mics once you leave the store.

We got the 319 at GC for $50 a year or so ago, and the MC012's for $100 a pair. That's the kind of deal I'd hold out for if I was looking.

I'd personally avoid that GC package deal. Sounds like they are trying to find ways to unload the 219's. Like tdukex stated, there are some great mics you could get after picking up 1 319 & a pair of mc012's. I'd second his thought of the AT 4033. From vocals, acoustic instruments and overheads, It is a very good and respected "just about everything" kind of mic that you'll never grow out of.

Good luck,
The Generator

The Generator said:
We got the 319 at GC for $50 a year or so ago, and the MC012's for $100 a pair. That's the kind of deal I'd hold out for if I was looking.

I'd personally avoid that GC package deal. Sounds like they are trying to find ways to unload the 219's.
Just as an aside, you might want to notice that the thread and what you quoted is from 1 1/2 years ago.

I just looked online at GC and did not see them.

This thread came up when I looking at new posts!

I actually found something that the 219 sounded good on. It was a $12 Clark penney whistle, I couldn't believe it it sound better than all the other mics on that 1 source.

I should probably write a review of the MK219. It's a mic that is in a horrendously bad body. And, generally, with a good one, you seem to be on the edge of getting somewhere without ever really arriving sonically. So, you take it down and put up a good mic. I do keep one around for hand percussion as well as hand claps. It seems to be the thing for those two applications only.

crazydoc said:
Just as an aside, you might want to notice that the thread and what you quoted is from 1 1/2 years ago.
I did exactly what the Generator said: I waited until GC had a sale on the MK012s and I bought 2 for $100.
I had to wait.
My neighbor down the street bought two a year earlier for $100 and I was not quite ready to withstand his teasing. ;)

Back