Oktava MC012 gone bad. Repair or replace?

During a recent recording I discovered one of my pair of MC012's has gone bad. It's like a bad connection - moving the XLR cable where it connects to the mic causes intermittent scratchiness and a loud hum. I've ruled out cables as the problem. It has to be the mic.

I paid $150 for the pair. Do you think I can have it repaired for less than the price of a new or used one?

It is a common problem and is pretty easy to fix. It should be much cheaper than buying a new mic.

During a recent recording I discovered one of my pair of MC012's has gone bad. It's like a bad connection - moving the XLR cable where it connects to the mic causes intermittent scratchiness and a loud hum. I've ruled out cables as the problem. It has to be the mic.

I paid $150 for the pair. Do you think I can have it repaired for less than the price of a new or used one?

Odds are, thirty seconds with a soldering iron ought to take care of it.... Just resolder whichever wire is partially unsoldered. Either that or it could be a loose set screw between the body of the mic and the XLR connector.

Odds are, thirty seconds with a soldering iron ought to take care of it.... Just resolder whichever wire is partially unsoldered. Either that or it could be a loose set screw between the body of the mic and the XLR connector.

If it helps, I had precisely this problem with one of my MC012's. Haven't gotten around to fixing it though...

Back