Oktava MC012 goes bung

lo beam

I recently lent my Oktava MC012 to a friend and I dunno what he did with it, but it no longer works. At first I thought he'd blown a cap, so i tried all the others...none of em work now :(

I don't think he did anything stupid with it - but does anyone have any idea as to how I may go about identifying the fault and repairing it?

Cheers

Assuming you've tried another (phantom powered) mic into the same cable/signal chain and it works, it sounds like the problem is in the mic body (since other capsules don't work with it), so the mod linked above by timboZ might be a cheap fix, and get you a better sounding mic as a bonus.

One thing I have found that happens with the MC012 bodies is with the spring loaded wire that couples to the capsule. If you remove the outer body shell, you will see, at the end where the capsule screws on, that there is a wire coming from the center of the capsule mount. The wire is soldered to one of the pins that goes through the board. It actually has some spring loading to it, so if the solder joint is weak it can pop right off. This happened to one of my mics. Simply resolder to the appropriate pin, making sure to releive the pressure until the solder has cooled, and it should work again. Hopefully that is the problem.

Don't mess with it.. Send it to Micheal Joly at oktavamod.com and just get the 79.00 mod and i"m sure that would include fixing it. It will make the mic much nicer and it will be fixed.. Win/Win there...

Back