Oktava MC-012

MOFO Pro

Opinions are like SM-57s
Seems to me as though there's been quite a bit of discussion surrounding these mics. It would appear as though the consensus is they are great mike for the money. But... I'm still a bit confused about the quality control and the best place to purchase these mics.

GC is selling them for $100 a pop. I picked up one the other day but brought it back because the mike body was dented. The one I got to replace it looked fine in the store but when I got it home the machining of the threads between the capsule and the body were strippped or cross threaded. It will screw together but I can't see the threads lasting too long if they start off bad. I'm planning on returning this one also.

I've read here, and other places, that the mikes are hand picked and matched in Germany. These matched sets sell for significantly more than the individual mics at GC. The mics that GC stocks are MC-012-01.

I've heard that the 319 is a mic to basically stay away from, that the QC is terrible and the the sonic quality of these mics is across the board. You may end up with a sweet one, but odds are that you won't. I haven't heard as much about the 012.

My question is...

Does GC get only the mics that don't match, or do they get all the mics that won't pass spec for freq repsonse? Does the 01 at the end of the model number signify anything? Should I abandon this mic for a different mic within the same price range? (maybe an AKG)

Thanks,

Steve

I have a 319, and I love it. Its always been crystal clear for me. I'm certainly no mic expert, but a friend of mine that owns a couple of AKG C3000Bs (among others I believe) told me he liked the 319 better, that could be good or not as good as it sounds, as I've never used that particular AKG. The 319 actually came highly recommended to me from someone at GC who owns 2, believe it or not... perhaps they ship the good ones here..

MOFO Pro said:
Seems to me as though there's been quite a bit of discussion surrounding these mics. It would appear as though the consensus is they are great mike for the money. But... I'm still a bit confused about the quality control and the best place to purchase these mics.

I've posted a lot about these microphones.

Let me make this clear: There _is_ no quality control in the McKay/GC Oktavas. Angus McKay lies through his teeth on this.

Quality control is what you do when you sort through several of them in GC's pro audio studio before taking the better ones home.

All of the Oktava microphones I've brought home sounded great, but I had to work for it - and they still had minor problems of some sort, usually involving the switched circuits.

Things like cross-threading and dents are almost too trivial to mention.

I've corresponded with a fellow who does a lot of Oktava service and tweaking and he has the most substantive problems are with the MK-012s due to poor components on the internal circuit boards and poor workmanship in cleaning off flux, but all of these are relatively easy to repair. The components are whatever the Russians can get their hands on at the time and some are very poor, especially the wet-slug capacitors, which frequently lose their seal and leak.

To get warrantee service on a Guitar Center Oktava you have to send it to England at your own expense. Presumably McKay will get these up to spec throughout if you do, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Some people have reported all sorts of problems simply with getting the microphone shipped there and back.

The GC Oktavas are not specifically rejects, as GC sells more Oktavas than anyone anywhere. They just don't do the retroactive QC that Johnson does on his and for which he charges accordingly.

Personally, I like Oktava microphones and will be getting an MK-319 next week, but I will be going in early to sort through a half-dozen of them in the GC studio before I pick one out. I personally wouldn't consider paying the premium for a Johnson Oktava, but if you have the extra cash and don't want to screw around with this business yourself, go ahead.

Thanks Guys... Still open to more input on these. I'm surprised to find two 319 fans right off the bat. I was led to believe that these were real dogs... I just may stand corrected...

Bongalation- Are these mics user servicable? A quick glimpse led me to believe the internal components were potted in epoxy (though there were set screws around the parameter of the mike body). Do you think that the inconsistency is due to the circuit board components or the diaphram?

Oh... and my primary concern about the physical integrity had more to do with what was going on electronically inside the mic if they couldn't even produce a mic without cosmetic defects (which are easily seen).

Gotta say, this whole site is a great forum. A lot of combined experience, just as many opinions, but it's been great getting insight on some audio gear before laying the money down.

Thanks,

Steve

I have two 319s. So far, my testing has shown that at least these two are pretty good. They are certainly better than any other $150 mic in my closet.

I was looking at the MC012s at GC yesterday. They were out of stock so I didn't even bother. The GC sales lady I usually go to whispered to me "Don't buy them, the threads for the capsules are no good".

So here I sit, still looking for a good pair of omnis. While I can afford a matched pair of Earthworks, it would spread the money pretty thin where I need it more.

I have two MK319s as well. I won't call them a pair, because they are not- the definitely sound subtly different, with one having a somewhat more extended top end. However, of the 10 or so I went through at GC, they are definitely the best: several others had real problems with their noise floor (dirty PCBs causing leakage), or with noisy/nonfunctional controls.

Here's the most bizarre thing of all: I actually *like* the way they sound on my voice. And I hate the sound of my voice. They work very well with it. They also work remarkably well with one of my collaborators, who also is cursed with a "unique" singing voice.

I've used them several times on location recording gigs where I really wanted the large-diaphragm sound, but didn't want to risk a "good" mic. In fact, I recently set them up for live PA use as a very retro-looking ORTF pair (on a vintage radio micstand, no less) right in the bigass middle in front of a men's barbershop quartet, with straw hats, striped shirts, and sleeve garters: the whole nine Adelines. Those dadgum mics did _great_ for that- they preserved the subtlety of the interplay, and barbershop audiences are major sticklers for that. And if the mics had gotten knocked over in the ensuing stage diving (;-), I would have shed a lot fewer tears than I might with other mics...

They aren't the only mike to have in your locker. But they aren't a _bad_ mic to have, either, by any stretch of the imagination. There are many less useful mics, some of which cost a lot more. IMNSHO, they definitely merit at least a listen at the price...

I have two of the MC-012s from Guitar Center, and have had no problems with them. I got the multicapsules. The threads are not perfect, but they do work, and they sound great. Best small condensors I own.

Yes, the Marshall 603s are excellent also. In fact, I did a side by side comparison and could not really tell the difference between those mics and the Octava. The Marshall mics would be the best buy at $65 each.

...then you are stuck with the crappy 2001....the 8th street $79 is about the best deal.....2 of them for stereo mic'ing....SWEEEET......

Gidge said:
Do I always have to be the one to bring up the Marshall MXL603's?

I suppose, 'cause everyone else knew it was an Oktava thread.:D

Just a guess...

So, what are these MLX-1006 mics that Ash has for $79.99?

Like I need more mics.

I am setting up the Antares Microphone Modeler and I just need some supported microphones. The Oktava MK-319 and MK-219 are supported. I don't think Marshalls are, but I could be wrong. I don't remember. I know the MLX-1006 won't be as it's supposedly a SamAsh "exclusive" according to their salesdrone.

But - curiously! - Musician's Friend has them, too, for $20 more.

MOFO Pro said:
Thanks Guys... Still open to more input on these. I'm surprised to find two 319 fans right off the bat. I was led to believe that these were real dogs.
Well, they certainly CAN be, if you're not careful. Not so much in terms of the sound quality, but in defects and longevity.

The MK-319 is nothing in the world but a MK-219 in a different housing with better switches. The new housing is putatively a better-sounding one because it is larger and more "open" and also provides - allegedly - better shock protection.

The MK-219s I have around here are very nice-sounding, but the switched rolloff and attenuator circuits are funky in one, though that's not a big deal...though it's a typical defect I've heard complaints of before, caused by flaky circuitry.
Bongalation- Are these mics user servicable? A quick glimpse led me to believe the internal components were potted in epoxy
That "epoxy" was probably excess flux!:D

Honestly, I don't know because I don't want to void the warranty (such as it is - based not on date of purchase, but date of MANUFACTURE...can you say "shelf life"?), but I have been led to believe that the circuit boards are relatively serviceable.
Do you think that the inconsistency is due to the circuit board components or the diaphram?
I am told that it is because of extremely inconsistent components used in the circuit and poor assembly practice in doing the boards.

Oh... and my primary concern about the physical integrity had more to do with what was going on electronically inside the mic if they couldn't even produce a mic without cosmetic defects (which are easily seen).
You're new to Russian manufacture, I take it! No, there's no quality control, which means that everything is inconsistent that can be. Perfectly good guts may be inside a dinged and stripped case, or vice-versa.

I got the MK-319 because they had them with the shockmount for $149.99 last month at Guitar Center and I wanted a shockmounted main vocal mic. I had figured out some ways of field-expedient shockmounting of the MK-219s, but just for fun decided to spring for a MK-319 'cause I had some extra bucks and was curious.

I've got two MC012's with the multiple capsules, purchased from GC. They both sound great (smooth and round) and very consistent in output levels. The threads on the capsules have given me no problems... although it's a tight squeeze when inserting the mic cables... These mics are a GREAT buy. I think the complaints over the GC oktavas are exaggerated.

# I think the complaints over the GC oktavas are exaggerated.

Your experience with Oktavas is obviously very limited.

How do you get GC to let you audition a bunch of Octavas in the store? I am lucky to get the attention of a sales clerk for more than 2 minutes let alone get them to hook up a bunch of mics for me to test.

jgourd said:
How do you get GC to let you audition a bunch of Octavas in the store? I am lucky to get the attention of a sales clerk for more than 2 minutes let alone get them to hook up a bunch of mics for me to test.
Go in when they first open on a weekday. That's how I do it.

I'm a regular, paying customer, so they know I'm not some lookyloo mook who's just going to break stuff and not buy anything. They also know that the majority of the Oktavas are substantially defective, so it's not an unreasonable request. I tell them to get me four times more than I intend to buy and let me have a board, some floor headphones and cables and I'll be back when I'm done. I do a quick "eye test" between two microphones on all functions until I've located the better ones with no glaring defects. I work fast and don't dither.

I make it easy for them and don't waste their time.

Generally, that's how you get people to do stuff your way in life.

Henri Devill said:
If you want to look at Russan mics ,The best place that I know of is The Sound Room...
I addressed Johnson above a few posts ago. The McKay/Johnson war has been a mainstay of this forum and r.a.p for a long time.:)

Back