Oktava MC-012 or Studio Projects C4 for overheads?

Oktavas or Studio Projects?

• Oktava MC-012

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Studio Projects C4

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

Enzo Polotso

I'm in the market for new overheads (within the next month or two) and these seem to be the mics most people reccomend on a budget. They seem to go for around the same price on ebay.
I'm mostly going to be recording loud rock/metal drums...
Is either one going to be better for that application?
I'm running through a Firepod, I have a DMP3 too.
Any opinions are appreciated, thanks.

I'm so torn, I couldn't even vote. It's a photo finish! I'm mostly using KM184 right now, but before that, my choices were the Oktavas or the C-4's. Both I still have, and still use. The C-4's are brighter, and somewhat less colored. Both are good for recording other stuff, too, but it's still dead even. I like the Oktavas on cheap guitars, scratchy violims,the occasional singer (with 2 pop filters) and for rock or blues overheads. I like the C-4's on good acoustics. Their bightness makes them less susceptible to boom. Mine are well matched, relatively, as are my Oktavas, but I got lucky on a random pair. I like the C-4's for a stereo romote pair. I did an 88 piece orchestra with them and the worked quite well.
Singing into the C-4 is fairly cruel. I like them for overheads on country, jazz,
pop, and I think they would be OK for rap, techno, alternative, or anything where you are looking for a sharp modern drum sound. So I can't answer the question. Both mics do a good job, but they aren't really the same job.-Richie

The C4's are cleaner with better high end as well. They also deliver a pretty big sound if you achieve it in the room. The OMNI caps are just plain BIG sounding with huge low end.

The Oktavas win on acoustic guitar in my opinion. They're a bit dirtier / crunchier on overheads (my pair is). They can make a great hi hat mic too.

War

Someone suggested that I pick up the CAD ICM-417 overheads as a part of a really low priced drum kit package from CAD. I did. The rest of the kit isn't anything special and I wouldn't use the dynamics on anything other than toms but the little ICM-417s are great overhead mics. The whole kit cost me $300 and is definitely worth it in my opinion.

I have the C4s too. They're great sounding mics but a little brighter than natural.

Enzo Polotso said:
so for a big wide overhead sound I might wanna lean more toward the C4s I take it?

Both capsule sets possess a good low end response, the OMNI caps giving you even more.

I disagree that the C4's are excessively bright, to each his own. They are pretty meaty on drums and full ranged, very good value anyhow.

War

Back