Oktava at a redicuously low price.... the catch?

lost studios

Hey fellas...

I have no experience with Oktava mics, but remember hearing that they had some quality control issues...

I just received a guitar center brochure and they are advertising that they are selling the Oktava MKL2500 Large Diahpragm Tube Condeser (list:$999.00) for $199.99.

And even better...(or questionable), if you buy MKL2500, you get an Oktava MK319 Studio Condeser (list:$599.99) for free!

What's the catch here fellas... because I'm awful tempted! :D

Jay

I don't know about the 2500 (do a search here - I think some have bought them), but the 319 is not a bad mic. However, it sells for $50 on sale, so don't think you're getting a $600 mic for free.
See what the return policy is - maybe you can return the 2500 for a complete refund and keep the 319. :)

MKL2500.
M=Mikrophon
K=Kondensatorniy (Condenser)
L=Lampochniy (Tube)

Once I asked Elizabeth Papapertrou of Sound-Room (when she was alive) about those and why they don't stock them. She answered that it had badly and chaply designed PSU. I have never had chance to look or listen to those.

chessrock said:
What's the catch?

They're shitty mics that sound like crap.

lOL...
That's what I figured. I've never had any experience with them to date... and remember hearing from someone that they were decent mics.

I appreciate your blunt sarcasm. :D

Point taken.
ls

Here's some information from a German online store:

Oktava MKL 2500 Tube microphone with gold sputtered 33mm cardioid capsule , Frequency response 20hz to 20kHz, Sensitivity 13mV/Pa , Max SPL @ 1kHz > 135dB .

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw2_artikel-165094.html

(english language)

The most interesting thing about it, I'd say, is the very large capsule.

I have no idea if the mic is any good, but the price in Germany is 385 Euro (incl. tax), right now almost 500 USD. No free MK319 mic included. The MK319 retails for about 130 Euro here, the usual unselected crop, that is. Just to give you an idea of what kind of deals you guys get in the US.

lost studios said:
I appreciate your blunt sarcasm. :D

I was only kidding.

I've never used them. Heard mixed reviews, though. Some love 'em while others hate 'em. Just like with anything else, right?

Oktava Mics

I was able to purchase two Oktava mics.

I purchased a condenser and the other kind (I forget which one is for vocals and which is for guitars)...and they are awesome.

I got 2 for $98 at the Guitar Center in Sacramento, CA. They list for around $599 each but what the Guitar Center claims is that as this is a Russian Company, they basically got a great deal in buying all of their inventory and have been able to sell them at ridulously low prices.

On performance: The vocal (MKL 2500) microphones are very good. I just bought a similar microphone for half the listed price and it is not even half as good as it.

One thing on the non-vocal mic (is that the condenser mic? it's the smaller mic that looks like a metal cigar or something like that used for recording accoustic guitars): it's a great mic but EXTREMELY sensitive. I busted it on the second recording I had with it. I was merely trying to disconnect the mic from the chord and it came apart and now doesn't seem to work :( .

The vocal mic (MKL 2500) I broke two on my 3rd week of recording. It's got an odd shape and didn't fit into my microphone holder easily and was always on the verge of dropping.. I had this dumb scarf supporting the mic and dropped and landed on the head (the round part we sing into) and it collapsed off. But luckily the mic still works.

Hey Jay (TL),
I'm a pretty big fan of the Oktava mc-12 sdc, and the Mk-319 ldc. Never heard the MKL 2500, but it might be worth a drive to go check it out. Give us a report if you do.

Marik - Shame about Elizabeth. It's been a bad year for me and losing family, friends, and such.
RD

<Marik - Shame about Elizabeth.>

Yes,
I talked to her just a couple days before her death. She was in a hurry and told me that she'd call me back. I was wondering why she did not. A week later I learnt about what happened...

ROBERT D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU'RE ALIVE AND WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW I'VE MISSED YOU! I'm sorry to hear of your losses. I had a pretty good idea that you've had a bad year. :(

You're actually one of the people who mentioned Oktava back in the day. It's so good to finally hear from you again. Stop back at our "old hangout" sometime... I have a feeling there's quite a few people that would be more than happy to hear from you.

Cheers
Jay

Hey, thanks Jay.......good to see (in the virtual sense) you too!
I will swing by the old neighborhood very soon. :) RD

Well, i use the MC012's, and they're great mics, at their price point, and quite a bit above it. The MK319 is a mic where some sound very good and some don't. I've got one that's a workhorse dark vocal mic. I've got an ML-52 ribbon mic, and I love it. The tube mic I've never heard, but I know Taylor Johnson of The Sound Room was unimpressed, and that counts for quite a bit, as there are very few as familiar with Oktava mics as he is. If anybody gets one of these puppies to review, please post up your impressions.
About the ML-52, though, I bought mine at GC for $175, and it is different from any other mic I own, really good for "the big sound".-Richie

Back