Okay, guitar/studio question

artlover

Listen to With You (Album Version) by Linkin Park : http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/14176604

Listen to this song (it's free guys, just put in email, and you'll be able to listen to the whole song five times, yay napsterlinks)

The guitars in this are sooooo ruff and deep. How was it done? Any ideas? Maybe layered? Its gotta be a studio plug-in or something.

So whacha think?

it's called a world class studio and engineer, and a good amp.....

yes it is pry layered several times, and in my opinion all there stuff is over-produced.

killthepixel said:
Linkin Park = Fagget emo.

Emo is that stuff were everyone dyes their hair black, put on eye liner, sing like they are crying, and the guitars are nothing more than bedroom riffs with little or no practice to at least make the transitions "smooth". Linkin Park at least took the time make the guitars smooth.

Oh, did I mention that Emo kids are gay but they just haven't figured it out yet?

Q: How many Emo kids does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: None. Let them cry in the dark.

You know, I listen to stuff like that and stuff thats on the radio, and I ask myself, "Am I listening to real instruments, or synthesized versions of instruments?" Or do they start their lives as real instruments only to be synthesized and sampled and chopped later in life? I know the drums aren't real, but guitars and basses too?

But, thats probably why I don't listen to it. If you want that type of sound, you layer multiple times. You get different effects by either not changing anything from track to track (i.e. guitar into what fx into what amp) or by changing everything from mics to guitars to preamps etc. I fall into the second category for many of the bands that I record. We do a lot of indie rock stuff, so we want to be able to point out each track and overdub. Every now and again I'll do a hard rock/metal act and we generally will find one combo we like and stick with it for a majority of the session. You also may find that using more than one mic at a time on a guitar cab can* (but as with everything in recording, not always) thicken things up. Its a start anyway, but I doubt you'll ever achieve that sound with a traditional setup.

Rory

Sounds like Jeff Becks latest stuff crossed with Dream Theater.
I would use the trusty TubeMan into a RP-6 then through A Roland SE-50 and right into the board. EQ and wet it up in post.

You're right Outlaws, the emo guy are those wearing eyeglasses, a parituclar weird hairstyle, sneakers and tight clothes...and taking pictures each other! What a waste of time. By the way, if someone here gave me some neg reputation points I'll apreciate at least to sign the message!

Outlaws said:
Emo is that stuff were everyone dyes their hair black, put on eye liner, sing like they are crying, and the guitars are nothing more than bedroom riffs with little or no practice to at least make the transitions "smooth". Linkin Park at least took the time make the guitars smooth.

Oh, did I mention that Emo kids are gay but they just haven't figured it out yet?

Q: How many Emo kids does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: None. Let them cry in the dark.

ha, ha...........i had'nt heard that one before. :D

Question:
How many Emo kids does it take to play good music?

Answer:
They can't play music, they're too busy doing his nails and dying their hairs.

killthepixel said:
Question:
How many Emo kids does it take to play good music?

Answer:
They can't play music, they're too busy doing his nails and dying their hairs.

OTQ: How many computer programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

OTA: It can't be done; it's a hardware problem.

jjf323 said:
Sounds like Jeff Becks latest stuff crossed with Dream Theater.
I would use the trusty TubeMan into a RP-6 then through A Roland SE-50 and right into the board. EQ and wet it up in post.
Wow, you just compared Jeff Beck and Dream Theater with Linkin Park. Maybe I should consider jumping off a cliff or something.

Artlover (hehe, the irony), your answer is up towards the top, that's all there is to it. Great studio, great engineer, great amps, great guitars, layering everything until you don't have a tone anymore, etc.

Well I guess I struck a nerve with that joke based on the mass neg reps I got.

It was funny. Ya know....."hahahahah". Laugh a little, not everything is black and dreary. :cool:

killthepixel said:
You're right Outlaws, the emo guy are those wearing eyeglasses, a parituclar weird hairstyle, sneakers and tight clothes...and taking pictures each other! What a waste of time. By the way, if someone here gave me some neg reputation points I'll apreciate at least to sign the message!

OMG! I can't believe I forgot about the 2 size too small t-shirts and the hip hugger jeans that I think came out of the womens section. Oh, and the glasses are classic. But its that neo-new-wave/japanimation hair style that just gets me every time. :D

I found a better word for their voices though....instead of crying, I guess its more Castrati. :eek: *ouch*

their tone comes from triple rectifiers, which are probably run through through SSL consoles, and probably have 20+ tracks layed down on top of each other

Squire Strat --> DOD Grunge Distortion pedal --> Peavy rage amp --> Fostex Digital 8 track = Perfect

Dont listen to all these guys talking about superior equip. It's all in the mic placement. Use a nice SM57 pointed at and angle at the Rage's 6inch cone. The angle is important.

Back