Ok what is your favorite solo in a song - any era....

Achilles last stand and for your life by zep
On the 'Presence' album, Jimmy Page was determined that there'd be not a single keyboard in sight. It's Zeppelin's most guitarry album.
I love "For your life" but there's a bit on it that 32 years later, I'm still trying to work out whether it's a really bad piece of editing or whether it's superb band timing.......
Melchizedek
When my older sister was expecting her first child, her husband and I used to joke that it would be named Melchizedek. That name cracks me up like no other.

not sure about my favourite but this is certainly up there, the solo is at 4:30 and I love it. It is so technical yet fits in with the song so perfectly and the build up to it and the bit after it fit with it perfectly. and there is an acoustic solo at the end fading out which gives me shivers every time :D
whilst on the topic, the album this track is on (city of evil) is probably my favourite album in terms of the production. The mix's sound a lot more spacious than any other and I've only ever really noticed this since I've got into home recording aha :) it is probably one of my favourite albums too, they have sounding the seventh trumpet - screamo, waking the fallen - less screamo, city of evil - in the middle, self titled - softer, nightmare - more soft. City of evil fits right in the middle so it has the best balance of the other albums.
I also love the kind of "muahaha I'm evil" feel to it ahahaa, doesnt make much sense but it's a classic to me :)

Avenged Sevenfold - M.I.A. (Missing In Action) with lyrics - YouTube

I might have to say We Will Rock You, the licks Brian May does towards the end......I've never not gotten goosebumps while listening to it.

I might have to say We Will Rock You, the licks Brian May does towards the end......I've never not gotten goosebumps while listening to it.
Do you mean the universally well known mega hit or the virtually unknown fizzing piece of heavy rock ?

How about Robin Finck's solo on GNR's This I Love? Or am I the only one that has ever heard that? Lol - It's my all time favorite solo.

Ween's guitar solo on "Johnny On the Spot" live in Chicago is pretty rad - a bit roller coaster-esque, and a little sloppy maybe, but really fun.

Daryl

I still like Jake E Lee's solos in Bark at the Moon. There was a live MTV concert from that tour, that version of the solo has more energy than the record, which was awesome.

comfortably numb David Gilmore/Pink Floyd is just unbeatable for me, if I had to choose ONE, that would definitely be it.

Back