ok, weird question, I suppose

SacredDespair

I'm looking fora guitar pedal to use on my voice, not all the time, just for certain things, for example, I'd need a distortion for some of my screams and I'd like some kind of robot type thing or some other cool effect. I know the only way to really find anything is to try them out, but I'd kind of like to have a direction to look, very low budget because I have to get all my other stuff too. Thanks in advance.

Sacred

Hmm maybe a talk box? The Dan Electro Free Speech? You need to play guitar too...you could use a vocoder plug in.

SacredDespair said:
I'm looking fora guitar pedal to use on my voice, not all the time, just for certain things...

Sacred

So just for music and not everyday conversation? :D

There's a guy I know in a local band who uses some sort of guitar processor on his voice. Once in a while he just steps on the switch and gets a little distortion, extra reverb, etc. He uses it judiciously and it works well.

Try a DOD VOX7 vocal processor, a friend of mine who DJs uses one. It's a fun "toy" and has a variety of vocal efx, it might be pretty much what you have in mind.

i say...just buy some used guitar fx pedals.
From a pawn shop, or second hand music-go-round place.
you could get a decent distortion for about $15-$20.
Even less if you dont care about brand name.

Im personally looking for a Boss VT-1.

you can always use those pedals for other stuff as well.

But constantly buying batteries sucks.

I also suggest an alesis BItrman...if you can find one.
I have one...i fing love it. Theyre discontinued,
Buy you could find one second hand. Its a mangling box.
A whole bunch of filters, and modulations, including Decimate,
FM, Ring...a total of about 8.

good stuff...but ive heard that they are kind of faulty,
But ive never had any problems with mine.

ok, so here's some of what I'm looking for, maybe people can keep pointing me in the right direction for best value. I need a strong distortion for screams, something to give me an almost robotic feel, something for like an underwater type feel and possibly a pitch shifter. I can do it individualy or with a mulit-effects, doesn't matter to me. just looking for bang for buck (which I have very few of) thanks a lot. sorry to keep asking, i am taking everyone's advice, i just thought i'd clarify

Just get a cheap behri passive direct box, and a few cheap used DOD pedals. I used to use that setup back when I was singing for this weird... rock(?) band. I used that little silver d.i. and a DOD flanger and some Arion $20.00 plastic distortion pedal. E-bay is a great resource for cheap pedals... ;) As far as the robotic voice, isn't there a unit made by Boss that has something like that in it?

Track Rat said:
Something like this sounds like what you're looking for.
http://www.digitech.com/products/Vocalist_Live2/

I really think I'm going to stick to guitar pedals, I want something a little more out there. Also, I looked at a few pedals already through musiciansfriend and some on ebay and I was wondering which brands would be good to look at? Is there a big difference between them and will it make a bigger difference on the voice? I'm not trying to sound pretty by any means, but I would like it to maintain a strong sound.

I would maybe suggest using something like a Boss ME-50. I have one and its has loads of effects and memory function. Got mine for £90 of ebay.

Otherwise maybe think about using a laptop (if u can get hold of or have one) and try using software effects.

Might be cheaper.

pikingrin said:
As far as the robotic voice, isn't there a unit made by Boss that has something like that in it?

I think ur talking about the ME-50 - its an effect called the 'Ring Modulator' on the express pedal function. Sounds pretty shit and unusable on guitar but could definately be used on vocals.

Back