ok... upgrade time sonar 4 (88.2khz) here i come

crosstudio

i didn't upgrade right away because i had no real reason to upgrade. now, i've decided that i'm ready for 88.2khz. the tascam fw-1884 and edirol fa-101 both support 88.2khz as does my mastering software (sekd samplitude master), but sonar2 does not. it only supports 96khz recording.

now, i could just go with 96khz and not upgrade at all, but i want to see if i can 'hear' the difference between a CD dithered from 24/88.2 and a CD dithered from 24/96khz... so now, i've got to pay a couple hundred bucks to satisfy my curiosity.

since my mastering software converts the original mix into 32-bit floating point it should be using floating point algorithms to perform the frequency dithering, but i still want to hear it.

My plan is to record both Night on Bald Mountain (Mussorgsky), and 3'oclock road block (Marley) from my CD player into Sonar via Fw-1884 in both 88.2 and 96 using the same gain settings then put them in Samplitude and see if the CDs sound the same.

cool thing is, i've got a DVD burner now, so hopefully, i'll be able to use it with Roxio (or whatever) to create data-CD backups since my file sizes are about to increase tremendously.

guess what? i decided to get a Roland GR-33 synth module and the Roland GK3 midi converter instead of upgrading Sonar.

i figured it was more important to get a richer/fuller live sound than to worry about recording in 88.2 in the studio... for now. after all, the studio recordings don't mean beans if you've got no club buzz going. since some songs really need 2 keyboard players more so than a guitar, having the GR-33 will provide that 2nd keyboard sound.

i just bought the GR-33/GK3 combo from 8th street music's online.

i'll get the new version of sonar next month.

crosstudio said:
i just bought the GR-33/GK3 combo from 8th street music's online.

i'll get the new version of sonar next month.

If you left it another three months we'd be into Sonar 5 upgrade season...

Q.

The 4 Sonar Engine is light years beyond prior versions. An audible difference in clarity.

QWERTY is right, wait for 5.0

how close to their upgrade season before they start giving free upgrades?

you know what... that doesn't matter. i'd rather have a mature version of S4 than a new version of S5, because i don't want to deal with the first bug-fix cycle... although with S4 only being at 4.0.2 it looks like they did a pretty terrific job of testing it.

Back