OK....time to jump in!

BassMan53

Hi everybody! Been considering dabbling in some home recording for my band and have been lurking around these parts for a couple of weeks. Recently, I attended a free home recording workshop/Apple computer demonstration at GC this past Saturday.

Back up a little......I'm 58yo musician who, over the years, has amassed all kinds of music related equipment.

If I understand things correctly, I should be using an interface for my PC so, that's next on the list but, am I missing anything else I might need to get started? Following is a list of some of the gear I'm planning on using. Aside from the interface, am I missing anything else to get started?

Here it is.......

Tascam Porta02 four track (works great, hardly used)
Boss Micro BR digital four track (recent acquisition)
Older version of N-Track Studio (It works, it's easy to use and, it's paid for)
Hyperlux HC46A LDC
Nady CM-88 Instrument condensor mic
Rolls Phantom power supply
Nady SP-1 Dynamic mic
Shure SM-58 Dynamic mic
Alesis Q25 MIDI kybd. w/sustain pedal (another recent acquisition)

So, I know the gear isn't the best but, I'm just looking to get started and get my feet wet before investing more. My intention is to record my band rehearsals and gigs live with the Micro BR then transfer those files to my PC to do some editing and mixing for demos etc.......can I get started down the road with this setup? Any immediate needs that I might be missing?

Anything in general?

Thanks in advance!

If you have enough mics and inputs to record all the instruments for your rehearsal you have enough to get started. Honestly I think people focus too much on equipment. some of the most creative and enjoyable records come from pushing the limitations of your equipment. It gives you parameters to work in which is essential for creating good art in any medium. If I all of a sudden inherited a full blown ultimate recording studio with every instrument and recording device you could ever hope for, I wouldn't even know where to start. (Well maybe I would... )

Record and mix a few songs with what you have - that is the most sure-fire way to figure out what else you need.

Good Luck and Welcome to the forum!

I agree with Arcadeko, although that hasn't stopped me from buying too much gear over the years. Welcome to the board.

I have been doing recording for a few years now and have only recently found a combination that works well. First of all I recommend either Apple Garage Band if you have an apple computer or Mixcraft 5 if you use windows. They are both easy to used and very versatile. You also need a Computer interface. This is essentially an external sound card designed for recording music. Most of the ones on the market are adequate but you will want to have at least two mic inputs to record stereo. I would also recommend a midi controller as you can add a plethora of instruments. (Get one with a keyboard. It doesn't matter if you play piano or not: I don't) It is very versatile and a whole lot of fun. The rest of your equipment is quite adequate.

You will get a lot of different opinions with regard to recording software but unless you are a sound engineer I would go with my recommendations above. I have been through about 4 or 5 different software programs and Mixcraft 5 is far and away the best, most versatile and easiest I have ever used.

Welcome to hell! The best advice i could give is this. Learn how to use what you have inside and out. It seems the biggest problem around here , and ive been guilty of it myself, is just people who dont know how to get the most out of what they have. And of course above all...HAVE FUN and be creative!

Greetings!
As already stated, use the gear you already have.
Learn what it does and how well it does it and then you'll be in a much better position to decide if what you have is enough, or WHY it is that you need something different.

My first foray into recordings were with an SM58 plugged into a small format mixer fed into my clunky A/D converter.
I then realised why condenser mics are better suited for studio vocal recording (most of the time)
After getting a condenser mic, I realised why compressors are a very useful tool for tracking untrained vocalists :)

Hey Arcadeko, if you *do* inherit a full blown recording studio with every instrument and recording device you could ever hope for and don't know where to start get in touch! :D:D

Dags

Back