ok this is way noob but i had to ask

TRW

studio monitors... is it the same as a regular speaker, like you just connect the cables to your computer audio jack and voom there you go? and whats the difference between active and passive monitors?

thanks

I'm no expert but I'll have a bash:
studio monitors...
is it (sic) the same as a regular speaker -
NO they are built to have a flat, as in accurate, response to the signal. Listen to any set of stereo system speakers and they'll have more bass or less treble or visa versa - hence the need for a loudness switch for many stereos as the speakers don't reproduce the sound as accurately at low volumes. It's a bit like why people prefer tube/valve amps - the "warmth" or "colouration" are in fact changes to the signal caused by the implement initially at least unintentionally - now of course they promote the fact. Back to the point Monitoring speakers shouldn't colour/warm/alter the sound.
Like you just connect the cables to your computer audio jack and voom there you go? and whats the difference between active and passive monitors? -
These are intertwined. A line from your card to active speakers will work as active speaker have built in amps. Passive speakers require an amp between the source & them. It needs to be a specifically designed amp that, again, doesn't colour the sound.
Can you do this with a home stereo? The real answer NO.
Cheapskates like me treat the room as best as possible & then set up the substitute monitor system (home stereo?) as flately as possible by adjusting parameters as much as can be to represent a flat response &/or adjusting due to indepth knowledge of the systems bias.

Oh, and a subwhoofer inexpertly set up will render real monitors pointless.
Someone please correct me.

Back