ok, so i don't know jack bout cards......

hey everyone!
on my little system right now i got a soundblaster Live!platinum. and i am just making simple tunes from fruityloops. if i got a soundcard with better qualities (24 bit/96 khz) would that improve my songs from fruityloops ? like i said, i don't know JACK bout soundcard stuff. just a little. :), also is there any way i can improve the sound qualities of my songs once i complete them in fruityloops? thanks! later
justin

Justin,

You'll probably have to give us some more information about what it is your trying to accomplish.

I used fruity loops briefly when I first started recording and if I remember correctly it relies on wave files for the drum sounds and synth pads. In order to improve or expand your sonic capabilities, you could start by downloaded (or buying) some new wave files. I didn't find many of the stock files very useful, but that's just me. This is assuming you plan to stick with using fruity loops as your sole composition tool.

As far as what a new soundcard would do for you, it would give you an opportunity to start incorporating external instruments into your songs. You would also need some sort of multitracking program like n-track, SONAR, etc, but most of these programs would allow you to import tracks that you had developed using fruity loops.

The 24 bit/96 Khz aspect of a new soundcard won't be of much benefit to you until you start to record external instruments since this specification describes the sampling granularity and rate used to record external instruments.

I know there are tons of fruity loops users on this board, you shouldn't have to wait to long for more input.

Good luck!

Phyl said:
Justin,

You'll probably have to give us some more information about what it is your trying to accomplish.

I used fruity loops briefly when I first started recording and if I remember correctly it relies on wave files for the drum sounds and synth pads. In order to improve or expand your sonic capabilities, you could start by downloaded (or buying) some new wave files. I didn't find many of the stock files very useful, but that's just me. This is assuming you plan to stick with using fruity loops as your sole composition tool.

As far as what a new soundcard would do for you, it would give you an opportunity to start incorporating external instruments into your songs. You would also need some sort of multitracking program like n-track, SONAR, etc, but most of these programs would allow you to import tracks that you had developed using fruity loops.

The 24 bit/96 Khz aspect of a new soundcard won't be of much benefit to you until you start to record external instruments since this specification describes the sampling granularity and rate used to record external instruments.

I know there are tons of fruity loops users on this board, you shouldn't have to wait to long for more input.

Good luck!

Actually 24 bit audio would matter when using software synthesizers like Fruity Loops has. With 24 bits there is room for more definition of the sound and you get less dithering or "guessing".

You really don't hear the difference between 16 and 24 audio with individual tracks, but when you start layering tracks together, the sound is much clearer and not so annoyingly "full" - I have no real good way to describe it. Subtle nuances from different sounds/tracks stay well defined in the final mix when working in 24 bits - 16 bit audio just doesn't have the same clarity.

Good point, I guess this is where my knowledge is a little sketchy.

If FL does indeed use wave files to produce it sounds, does it matter whether the wave file was created using 16 bit or 24 bit sampling? How does a 24 bit converter handle a file that was created using 16 bits?

I'll admit I've never understood exactly how the "wave file to sound" process actually takes place.

Firstly,
...is there any way i can improve the sound qualities of my songs once i complete them in fruityloops?
-With fruityloops I don't know. I don't know the quality of the source samples, and I don't know if you can separate the different sounds the same way that you easily can with a multitrack sequencer....
-With any normal MIDI sequencing program, yes--you separate each different sound into its own track, mix it down to audio separately, EQ each track to taste separately and then mix them all together. Sounds lots better done that way.
-Consider soundfonts, and sequencers that support them. Cakewalk is one.
~

Back