Ok man mix advice

I like it overall. It's punchy and tight. But it also sounds a little restricted dynamically and in clarity. My speakers are generally a bit bright but your song sounded slightly muffled through them. Maybe your speakers are even brighter than mine so you compensate in the mix. Do you listen to other stuff on them besides your mixes?

On the technical side, it's clipping all over the place and perhaps "mastered" too loud. Loud is fine if that's what you want, though that may be part of why it sounds dynamically lacking to me. I would find a way to get it loud without all the clipping.

I agree with boulder, it sounds like the Master Bus is being pushed a little too much.

Saying that, I think, what's underneath sounds really good. Good performance and capture. The mix sounds pretty good as is, just too loud/clipping slightly. Fix that and I reckon you'll be set.

Good tune. Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed it. :thumbs up:

Are the vocals distorted purposely as an effect? Because I think the only thing I hear distorting is the vocal. If that's the case, I'd re-record some of the vocals and alternate that distorted sound, because using it full time people will think exactly like the first listeners did, that there is something wrong with the recording.

I heard that effect used in the 70's by Foghat and a few other bands but you've gotta get it just right, and have that right analogue sound to get away with it all through-out the track. Some producers do it as a lo-fi thing alternating with a normal digital clean sound. So.....

I'm curious, what were you going for? or did you overcook the master?

I'd say the vocal effect is intended. I like it. I don't think the drum sound fits the feel I get from the song. Id like to hear a more old school sound. I must say I like the song, to me its one of the best I've heard here. I like that its 3:30. That's the sweet spot for me.

Nice job.

PDP - the vocals are intentionally distorted. almost everything in the mix has distortion, but the shaker. guitars distorted, bass distorted vocal distorted etc.

Mogo22 - thx a lot I appreciate the the kind words you bring an interesting point about the drums I will rethink them. I agree they could sound less studio.

I thought this was really good. Yeah it was limited pretty hard.

My only thoughts were on some levels. The main rhythm guitars were competing with the vocal just a bit. I'd pull them down just a db or so.

Then there is a synth on the right that plays in spots, and it's tough to hear.

I think the lead guitar could be nudged up a db or so.

I thought everything else sounded great.

It's not just limited pretty hard, it has no headroom left to accommodate intersample peaks. It will clip on some DACs but not others. It definitely needs 2 or 3 tenths of a dB of headroom to prevent clipping.

I guess it's a matter of taste whether to keep the "low-fi" vox effect (as heard on modern hits) going throughout the whole song. I'd probably go clean on the choruses. One of the more commercially viable songs on the forum for me so far. Good stuff!

Not sure if you made any changes since the first post. But right out of the gate, sounds good. I didn't hear any obvious issues on the version I heard. I could hear this being played on the radio, of coarse, I have no idea what is playing on the radio these days. ;)

I thought this was really good. Yeah it was limited pretty hard.

My only thoughts were on some levels. The main rhythm guitars were competing with the vocal just a bit. I'd pull them down just a db or so.

Then there is a synth on the right that plays in spots, and it's tough to hear.

I think the lead guitar could be nudged up a db or so.

I thought everything else sounded great.

Hey triple long time no see. I don't know if you remember me from recording project. You had some good songs hope you are still writing. Anyway thx for the suggestions. I implemented all of them.
Both rhythm guitars down about a db. Guitar solo up a db. Made the drums a little less wide and less roomy. Left the organ where it is as I'm fine with that. I'd like to replace it with a real organ and a better player. Any takers feel free!

Crazy Luke - I will experiment with it off during chorus. I feel like the vocal distortion really makes the vocals have more oophm tho.

It's a great track. Tight playing and confident competent vocals. Sounds to me like it has an essence of The Smithereens about it. I'm listening to the Youtube version, which sounds fine to me. I accept the lo-fi sounding vocals and bass, even though they are not my preference. It's a great song: well done!

I thought the video was pretty damned good. Lots of nice visuals. Song is easy to listen to, also. Good hook.

Back