Ok I blew it!

Carter

Total gear slut
I posted this in the wrong forum so dont be mad at me, :o Okay how would you guys set up my rooms, it's been like this for three years and I want to change, any takers?

Attachments

• studio.pdf
    4 KB · Views: 56
How about moving the wall between the two rooms where you have the partitions drawn, thus shrinking the iso room to 10x14 and giving you a 16x22 main room? Then if you're really ambitious, you can slant the long interior wall of the main room.

If you post this as a .jpg or something, I'll draw some lines to show what I mean.

mshilarious said:
How about moving the wall between the two rooms where you have the partitions drawn, thus shrinking the iso room to 10x14 and giving you a 16x22 main room? Then if you're really ambitious, you can slant the long interior wall of the main room.

If you post this as a .jpg or something, I'll draw some lines to show what I mean.

The iso romm is 10 x 14, I dont want to move the wall in-between the rooms because its load bearing, I was thinking about changing around the control room so I can install a window between the two rooms I kinda sucks to not be able to see the performers.

Carter said:
The iso romm is 10 x 14, I dont want to move the wall in-between the rooms because its load bearing, I was thinking about changing around the control room so I can install a window between the two rooms I kinda sucks to not be able to see the performers.

Well I've never been afraid of removing load bearing walls :eek:

Seriously if you're putting a window in it, you'll be doing structural work anyway. I'm not saying I have the best solution, but once you are resigned to structural work, you might as well consider all options. It isn't going to be terribly expensive for such a short span.

Looking at your plans again, either the dimensions are way off, or the plan isn't drawn correctly. Could you clarify that?

mshilarious said:
I think this matches the dimensions better--is this right?

Thanks Fredric and yes that is correct, I dont have a converter here at work to convert to jpeg out of Autocad, the drawing is not to scale.

If you are serious about not wanting to move the wall between rooms, then the best suggestion I can offer is to swivel your mixing position 90 degrees to be on the 12 ft wall with the window. Then you will be firing your monitors down the length of the room.

Once you are in that position, if you don't mind doing a little bit of construction I'd suggest adding a splay in the walls from the front of the mix position back to at least behind where you will be sitting to reduce any flutter caused by the parallel walls. Some of John Sayers wall units would probably be effective on the side walls, and some absorption and bass trapping on the rear wall should help as well.

I don't know what you use for monitor speakers but if they have 8" woofers I'd seriously consider building some soffits for those speakers, as well, to tighten up the bass.

If I get a chance later on I'll try to draw out what I'm thinking of.

Darryl.....

Carter said:
No more takers? come one guys, there is a wealth if info here, help me out! :D

C'mon guys? Do some research my friend, this forum has a search option. You'll find a lot of good answers to get you going. But you can start with this if you like:

Attachments

• carterstuff1.jpg
    carterstuff1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 108
frederic said:
C'mon guys? Do some research my friend, this forum has a search option. You'll find a lot of good answers to get you going. But you can start with this if you like:

Thanks Frederic, DDev and Mshilarious, I know about the search function I just want some fresh new ideas! :D anyone else? Oh and also like DDev asked me I have two sets of monitors,
Event 20/20 passive and a pair of Event PS-6

Last edited:
Carter said:
I know about the search function I just want some fresh new ideas! :D anyone else?

You're welcome.

However, you're going to get a much better response if you at least try to put together a design with some of your own legwork, rather than ask others to do all your work for you. The point of this forum is for people to ask questions and share ideas, not really do an entire design from scratch for someone that hasn't done one bit of work themselves. There are professional designers for that, and they charge money for good reason - they aren't amatuers.

And I'm not trying to be a prick, just stating what I consider obvious.

Johnny Blaze said:
Frederic, what exactly are those yellow things going across from each other in the control room? Mhmm.

JBlaze

Rigid fiberglass, 2'wide x 4' high panels hung with picture frame wire.

Frederics plan is probably cheaper than mine, but this is what I was kinda thinking of:

There is a guy posting his construction progress over in the Construction Forum at www.johnlsayers.com that has soffited his 20/20's and loves the results. I really wish I had the space in my room for soffits for my 20/20's.

Darryl.....

Attachments

• Carter Studio.jpg
    Carter Studio.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 82
frederic said:
You're welcome.

However, you're going to get a much better response if you at least try to put together a design with some of your own legwork, rather than ask others to do all your work for you. The point of this forum is for people to ask questions and share ideas, not really do an entire design from scratch for someone that hasn't done one bit of work themselves. There are professional designers for that, and they charge money for good reason - they aren't amatuers.

And I'm not trying to be a prick, just stating what I consider obvious.

Thanks Frederic for the ass chewing :rolleyes: but I did some leg work but I hate the way the conversion went from Autocad Ill post as soon as I can get it small enough, By the way what are you using?

DDev said:
Frederics plan is probably cheaper than mine, but this is what I was kinda thinking of:

There is a guy posting his construction progress over in the Construction Forum at www.johnlsayers.com that has soffited his 20/20's and loves the results. I really wish I had the space in my room for soffits for my 20/20's.

Darryl.....

Thats just about what my new autocad drawing looks like. Thanks All :D

Carter said:
Thanks Frederic for the ass chewing :rolleyes: but I did some leg work but I hate the way the conversion went from Autocad Ill post as soon as I can get it small enough, By the way what are you using?

Visio Professional.

OK here's mine. I doubt you want to go this far; this is more of a conversation piece. But hey, I like amateur acoustic design.

Also if you aren't too fussy about isolation, you could replace the window between the rooms with an exterior glass door for easier access.

Last edited:
Back