OK...how should I do this?

Michael Jones said:
justharold, you haven't answered one key question:
"Do you own this space, or are you renting it?"
Well...neither. Right now, anyway. However, I have total use of this space for my studio.

The house actually belongs to my parents (who are in their 80's). I become the owner when they pass away (which I hate to even think about...)

mshilarious said:
Could you post a floorplan drawing the adjacent rooms, closets, etc.?
OK...here it is...

http://theburrellfamily.homestead.com/studio_dim2.html

The closets measure as follows: Closet #1 is kind of wedged under the stairs. At full height, it measures 2' 9.5" deep and 3' wide. However, it extends under the stairs for another 6'2" with it's ceiling tapering to the floor.

Closet #2 is 2' 6.5" deep and 6' 6" wide. However, for some reason, the ceiling in there is only 6' 4" high.

Behind the closets (and all along the south wall) is basement. Unfortunately, I don't see any possibility of extending the rooms into that direction as that would involve relocating the furnace, etc.

The bathroom measures 5' 8.5" deep by 7' 9.5" wide. I have considered taking out the tub (which is on the south side of the bathroom) and knocking out that wall into the "Recording Room" (and moving the bathroom wall in about 3.5' or so. However, I do not know as it would be much help.

The North, East and West walls all lead outdoors (which would explain the windows ;) ). The "exception" being the North wall of the control room that is adjacent to the porch.

There does exist the possibility (someday) of extending the room outside, I suppose. However, it would have to be North and West, as the East wall is very close to our property line.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions about my "description".

I have pretty much resigned my self to the fact that I am going to have to pull down the ceilings. That is, tear down the plaster (or whatever it is) and go with just the floor joists (etc) above. That will increase my ceiling height to about 7' 8" or so.

Would I acoustically treat it beyond that? Also, is there any way to dress it up at all (without messing with the sound)?

Back