OK distrotion pedal Question :)

DJTonyMOMO

I have been playing guitar for years and years. But I was wondering if anyone can tell me of a distortion pedal I can purchase to get the hard sound that Limp Bizket or Korn has.

Give me some ideas.

Thanks in advance

Ok, first thing: you're never going to get all that close to their sound, you'd need the specific guitars with the specific pickups and their specific amps - PLUS multiple tracks of guitar - to get that nice, thick, crunchy noise, the pedals are the least of it.

That aside, if you want nasty, ugly, digital crunch try out a Digitech pedal - RP200 or RP300 - used, they're cheap. I've tried the DOD Death Metal pedal and it can produce a seriously nasty sound as well, but you'll need a noise gate to kill the crap when you're not playing - and an EQ pedal, you're going to have to jack with the EQ no matter what you end up getting.

Limp Bizkit and Korn don't have heavy distortion BTW. Try some Dimmu Borgir or Pantera if you want some powerful riffs :).

DJTonyMOMO said:
which pedals in particular?

Thanks for helping man

Anyone else have any suggestions?

That was a joke. Sorry.

Those pedals are the channel switches for the Mesa/Boogie amps. ie. You need a Mesa for that sound. ;)

Mesa does have a pedal though.

you will almost NEVER figure out what Wes Borland used for pedals when he played for LB. Why? Because he and his guitar tech put duct tape over the pedals and wrote obscure and fucked up names on the tape. And yes, he used Mesa heads cabs, and used Ibanez 7-string guitars a lot. Later LB with Wes was using PRS 6-strings, with a primarily same rig. What Mike Smith (new guitarist for LB) uses, I haven't the foggiest.

Korn used oldschool discontinued Ibanez Universe 7-strings with, various weird pedals (and including various non-musical devices, such as a box fan in front of an amp, a tech wankering on a wah sometimes, etc etc), and i think mesa heads.

But what was stated about not fully reproducing these guys' studio tones is true. it's not gonna' happen. but... if you check out the Guitar World archives, etc etc etc, they give some pretty good examples of how to set the Line6 POD to mimic their guitar tones. close, but obviously, no cigar.

Try either the Danelectro Fabtone, or the Ibanez Smash Box. Both get you in the neighborhood. Remember to tune your guitar down to B or A or whatever. Or get a seven-string (easier to just by an extra heavy string and move all the others down on the fretboard. You are left with an extra high e you can throw away.) You can tune either to a standard tuning down like BEA (low 3 strings), or a drop-D style (BF#B). Tune the higher three strings accordingly. I prefer the drop-D style. Works good for that type of music as I know bands like System, Slipknot, Deftones, etc. tune like that.

Having a Mesa-Boogie probably would help, but I used a Sovtek Mig-100 and the other guitarist (in my now dead nu-metal band) played a newer Peavey combo (sorry don't remember model.) It didn't sound exactly like Limp Bizkit, but close enough for the money we saved.

Good luck.

Limp Bizkit and Korn don't have heavy distortion BTW. Try some Dimmu Borgir or Pantera if you want some powerful riffs

You fool, Dimmu Borgir and Pantera aren't heavy, only Judas Priest and Iron Maiden are heavy.:D

Im sorry guys but this is so easy. Get any half decent tube amp with a good amount of pre-amp gain, a Marshall DSL or better will do fine. Get a sound that isn't too bass heavy or Mid scooped, maybe Bass 6, Mid 5 and Treble 6 with about just over half of full gain. then get an EH Big Muff or similar pedal, (i personally use a DOD American metal) and plug it directly into the amp. Then turn the Pedal and the amp overdrive on and tweak up the pedal, the settings i use on my pedal are Level 9 O'clock, Presence between 12 and 3 O'clock and Distortionat about 10 or 11 O'clock, However it could be different on other pedals.
This will give u a seriously overloaded pre-amp signal going to the power amp and sounds exactly like any song from the first Korn album, and is easily tailored by varying the settings on either amp or pedal. I must say though, that this sound lacks any kind of tonal clarity what so ever and is really only suited to flog music that rely's mostly making alot of low tuned noise.

As for Limp bizkit, if your after his over drive sound then i always thought it was a straight forward high gain moderatley scooped tube sound, he did use Recto's after all. If however you'r trying to get his effected sounds, then be prepared to go and spend loads of money on obscure pedals and hours of tweaking. He used to use Roland JC120 amps for his clean sound as well, so that would be a big part of it. I used to be a complete FX head and pretty much worked out all korn's effect sounds to play as covers. my pedal board was about 1 and a half meters long and running it was like doing an Irish jig. i sold alot of it to buy other things but im started to re-aquire most of what i sold.

Any way, try that out and see what u get. I used a 5150II Head, Marshall 4X12 with Celestian G12 75T speakers and an ibanez RG7620 with custom wiring, so how close your sound would be to mine is quite hit and miss but it can be done :)

Thanks to eveyone that gave there 2 cents.

I will try one of those Digitech pedals out plus some others.

Anyone ever own a Crate G-60 Amp? Just wondering because I miss my little baby. :)

Back