Ok...calling all you symetrix 501 users...

teainthesahara

I want you to discuss your experiences with the symetrix 501 on vocals! I’ve been using it for bass/percussion mostly, and decided to give it a whirl on some female vocal takes some weeks ago. This is what I noticed as I fiddled for settings: With everything disengaged (the compressor & limiter), the unit passes signal clean. Good to know. With a very fast attack (.25ms), this thing sounded like it chopped off high end frequencies, kind of muddying up the track (I don’t know exactly if that’s what it did, but that’s what it sounded like). As I slowed the attack, (around 1.4 to 3.0), in a hurry that blurred aspect diminished, and there was a different sound to it. There was subtle tell-tail signs that the sound was being processed (this was with a light ratio, and 'conservative' release and threshold settings for the source, no limiter engaged) – not really in a bad way; it was just ‘coloured’. So basically, I was able to get a useable, good sounding vocal track that did not mess up the frequencies passing through in a significant way.

Then I decided to push it, and crank the threshold and ratio (so at most I was getting between 8 to 12 db of gain reduction). What I got was pretty cool…The vocal took on this quality that sounded like there was ‘overtones’ too it - almost exciter-like during certain vocal passages. Basically, a good ‘female pop’ sound.

So what has been your experience with this unit on vocals?

T

I don't have that unit but I do have the CL-100. I've been using it on vocals and it seems to do a good job. I've slammed it too, 10-12db and I like it.

I have one of the earlier toggle-switch models and I use it all the time on vocals. I set the attack at about 10 o'clock, and the release around at about 1 or 2 o'clock. Ratio of about 3:1.

I think it's got a great sound to it. I wouldn't call it transparent, but it's color is very mild. It can start to sound a little nasty if you push it too hard or if you engage the peak limiter extensively . . . but for the most part it's just an outstanding budget comp to have around. It really shines on bass guitar and vocals.

Another good one to have around is the JBL / UREI 7110. They pop up on ebay from time to time -- usually in the $200 range. They have a much more colorful and aggressive sound. Outstanding on drums. Kind of cool on vocals, too, if you're going for a really squashed effect.

cool

Yes, that's a good description chessrock; not transparent but a mild flavour. I've found the same thing with zealous peak limiting as well. Im surprised more people don't have these units...given their usefulness, sound and super low price! I would love to hear those CL-100's in action as well...

You guys realize the price just went up another $50 on ebay, right?

CUT IT OUT!

LOL!

I've got one. I like it-haven't used it on vocals yet, though. Interesting.

Chris

Re: cool

teainthesahara said:
Yes, that's a good description chessrock; not transparent but a mild flavour. I've found the same thing with zealous peak limiting as well. Im surprised more people don't have these units...given their usefulness, sound and super low price! I would love to hear those CL-100's in action as well...

I'm gonna get me a couple more of the CL-100 I believe. At $50-$60 you can't go wrong.

Chris Meck said:
You guys realize the price just went up another $50 on ebay, right?

CUT IT OUT!

LOL!

I've got one. I like it-haven't used it on vocals yet, though. Interesting.

Chris

:D
heh heh..good thing there's a steady supply of these thing's eh?
It doesnt seem that many home-rec's are using them though...I guess its just easier to walk into your local music-mini-mart and grab a behringer for just as cheap...and i've heard tracks with the behringer compressors that are decent. I guess for the same money, im just esthetically attracted to "vintage" and " relatively obscure" good sounding stuff!

Back