Ohsc???

Generally only a problem with vintage instruments where having the OHSC contributes (sometimes significantly) to the value of the instrument. Or where you didn't get a "hard" case at all, or the case doesn't fit well.

Otherwise aftermarket hard cases can be just fine and in some cases much better than the OHSC that otherwise would come with the instrument.

I want to get a case for my acoustic.

How do you know if the case you're looking at will be the right size?

This is assuming you're buying one off the net. Because I've found some good deals on Musician's Friend and other places.

Well, you need to know the size/style of both your guitar and the case as a starting point. For example, is your guitar a dreadnought or a parlor? Because there really isn't complete standardization on the dimensions of what constitutes an dread or OM or parlor size guitar (one maker's OM may be significantly deeper than another maker's OM), you do need to get down to measuring the length, depth and width of the guitar to be certain. Especially if you know that yours runs towards an extreme. I think there is more standardization in sizing for dread size guitars than other sizes so a case that is advertised as fitting dreadnought guitars is a safer bet without exact measurements than one that is advertised for parlor size guitars which vary more widely.

When in doubt, measure and then call.

pohaku said:
When in doubt, measure and then call.

Thanks for the info, that's probably what I'll do. The guitar was a gift so I don't have a lot of information on it. Guess I'll have to measure it.

I also don't really know the difference between dreadnought, parlor, and all those other names. :o

I would say mine's about "average" size, not big and not real small.

danny.guitar said:
I would say mine's about "average" size, not big and not real small.

Mine's a jumbo. No brag, just fact.

It's a J-45. What were you guys thinking????

Back