Oh-So-Important NT1 Tip

CharlesThomas

So I finally got to use my new NT1 in the studio last night, and I came across a very important user tip.

The side of the microphone with that tiny silver dot... that's the front.

The mic sounds like dog shit if you have the back to the vocalist, and you can spend over an hour EQ'ing and fucking with things trying to make it sound decent before you figure out that they sent it to you from the factory mounted in the mic clip backwards!

ARRRRGGGHHH!!!

But, BOY does it sound freaking FANTASTIC once you get it facing the right way!

CT
http://www.hotterthankarl.com/CharlesThomas

Discoveries like that really make me happy. On the one hand I think what a thick bastard, on the other-that's gonna save me a lot of time and effort:it's just one of those things.

I too discovered this the hard way, who woulda thunk it?
see post-https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=12073

it got you too huh?

In my case it was "how come I can hear the kids playing in the street as loud as my voice?" And yes, I closed the windows first, then figured out to turn the mic around!

-jhe

I pointed it the right way right from the start, because I thought the little shiny dot looked kinda pretty, and I wanted to look at it.

glad you figured out the dilema. The off axis response is one of the first things I was curious about and like most large condensors, it was bad..but the NT1, imo, was really bad. Did you think you might have had a bad mic for awhile? I sent one back because it was defective (like my ART tube MP too). Happy recording.

Silver Dot?

How come I've got gold dots on my Rodents and you've got a silver dot? #41646 and #41647.

>How come I've got gold dots on my Rodents and you've got a silver dot?

Yeah, after reading about the "gold dot", I checked and I think mine is gold too. But it's hard to tell because it's really dark in the main room of my home studio.

>Did you think you might have had a bad mic for awhile?

Actually what I thought was "I gotta sell this piece of crap. My CAD E-100's blow this thing away." However, once I turned it around, I was VERY impressed with the sound. It lends a great clarity and transparent quality to the vocals that surpasses what I've been able to achieve in the past.

CT

Hahahahaha......those crazy little dots on NT-1 mics.
I,too,put mine on backwards.My guitar sounded like I was playing through a lapel mic with a towel wrapped around it.
But the ceiling fan.......WOW! "Womp womp womp....." sounded like something from "War of the Worlds."
Seriously good mic once you get it right........especially with a good preamp,like the ridiculously cheap Behringer Eurorack model 602A....$80 from Musician's Friend!

Has anyone used the newfangled NT3? It's pretty stylish looking. Is it a medium diaphragm or what? I was surprised by its price. Anyone think it's worth the dough? I might consider buying one if I get some positive response.

Isaiah

i've read a lot of post lately about the NT-3 being good for overheads. i've used NT-1's for overheads with some success.

anyone had a chance to compare NT-1 and NT-3's used as overheads?

A friend said today that his NT1 out of phase to his CAD - has anyone else measured that?? The thing about the NT3 is it handles 142spl!!, kicks, snares/ gtrs etc :D

it does say in the manual that the gold dot is the front =)

READ MANUALS!!!! THEY HELP!!!

I once was a anti-manual activist ... =)
but I've found lotsa useful info in them

Manuals rule =) (although many are confusing!)

Sabith

I second that Charles, I went through my manual word by word, 3 occurences of the word gold, none involving said reference to the FRONT, and no mention of this subject anywhere to be seen.
Is it possible that we have a revised manual?, I purchased my NT1 early this spring at GUITAR CENTER, the reduced price 199.00 model without the logo on it etc.

> A friend said today that his NT1 out of phase to his CAD - has anyone else measured that??

Well, it's not out of phase to MY CAD. Are you sure he doesn't have it facing the wrong way? I was sure it was out-of-phase when I had it facing backward. That's what it sounds like.

>Is it possible that we have a revised manual?

I got mine from Full Compass. It doesn't have a logo on it either.

CT

Logo? What Logo?

My Rodents have the following writing in a ring-shaped region near the bottom of the mic: CE, RØDE NT1, Made in Australia and SER.NO. next to a box where someone has written in the number with a fine-tipped felt marker. They came in a bag that looked like a large pencil case with the serial # written on a stick-em note which fell off after a few weeks. Also from Guitar Satan. No manual as far as I could see. Just a spec sheet.

Back