Oh NO!.......... power supply fan not spinning!

Me myself & him

Not this computer too!:(

Incidentally, I was opening up the case to see what size fan to put in it and I noticed it was hot, and the fan in the power supply wasn't spinning.

Me myself & him said:
Not this computer too!:(

Incidentally, I was opening up the case to see what size fan to put in it and I noticed it was hot, and the fan in the power supply wasn't spinning.

The power supply is hosed, dude. Needs a replacement.

Damn!

Ok, I messed around with it a little, and it runs now, but it sounds like a freakin car:(

Is this an urgent thing? should I spend my case fan money on the new power supply, or can I wait a while until I get the proper funds?

Damn:(

You can replace the fan if you like. It is impracticle to repair a fan.

You're fan will not get better, it will get worse and eventually it will go 100% failure.

arl

Its usually dust build up on the fan assembly.
Get a electrical lubricant spray and poke a hole in the little sticker covering the bearing axel nad give it a squirt, not too much. Most of the power supplies dies from fan failure that doesn't have to happen, just lube it every 30 to 90 days and it will last a long time.

SoMm

Now that's more like it SoMm.

so... are you saying these guys could be wrong?

What's the bearing axle nad?

Should I remove the power supply in order to do this?

Damn! MM&H, you got some shit luck with computers dude!
I got an old 4 track in my closet that I'll donate to you. ;)

Typically if the fan is making griding noise then the bearing is shot or dry and it'll need replacing or oiling. If it's just slowed down then it could simply be clogged up with dust (which will eventually break it).

Try blowing the fan out real good with compressed air. If it's still noisy or not turning well after that, it'll have to be replaced or you could try oiling it which sometimes works out. Put a drop of fishing reel oil on the bearing (usually in the center under a sticker) and turn the fan a whole bunch until the oil is worked in. Don't plug the fan back in until all the oil is worked in well or it'll shoot crap all over (also don't use very much, just a drop or two).

P/S fans are typically your average 12V 80mm fans, but replacing them usually involves soldering and working near dangerous caps. In this case I would simply recommend buying a new power supply. How old was this supply anyway? Maybe it's under warranty?

If you're going to get a replacement, look into some of the quiet supplies from manufacturers like enermax. I think enermax uses panaflo fans in their quiet models. At any rate, we're talking 30-60 bucks. Make sure the supply is Athlon XP and P4 rated, and at LEAST 300W.

Slackmaster 2000

Oh yeah! it's definitely grinding.

It's a 235W power supply, we've had it for about 6 or more years so I'm sure it's out of warranty by now. Powerman made it.

Should I take the PS out to blow it with the compressed air?

I appreciate it Eyes, .... especially if you're serious..... but you're always joking:D

Anyways, this one is the family computer, I just got the new processor for mine, I should be posting results in a day or so.

Last edited:
Just replace it.

$30 will get you a good ATX P/S.

You can change the fan inside easy enough. If it isn't a standard plug-on into the circuit board inside the P/S (rarely are anymore), you can cut the wires leaving 4 inches or so. Strip back 1/2" of bare wire. Do the same on your replacement fan, twist the corresponding colours together (red black), insulate from each other with some electrical tape.

I usually solder these connections before taping for extra piece of mind.

I use a 2 small nylon tie straps around each connection (+ and -) of tape to ensure it doesn't fall apart off over time (within reason).

Fan + ---------taped/soldered/tiestraped--------Factory solder in ps
Fan - ---------taped/soldered/tiestraped---------Factory solder in ps

Do so at your own risk.

You are better off just replacing the whole thing.

......................Whoa! Hard to argue with you on that one.

I think I'll go out to get it later today. This one really sounds bad.

Whatever you do, don't leave your computer on unattended. If your fan decides to crap out, you can do some serious damage. If you've got room in your case, I'd install another fan as a backup (one of the quiet ones Slack suggested if you're doing recording) - especially if that puppy's 6 years old.

Oiling a PS fan is not a cure. If you fan needs oil once, it's going to require it again and again because a bearing is shot. That is if it IS a bearing that's the problem. More often than not, it's a brush that's failing. In that case, no amount of oil is going to fix it.

It's true that debris could cause you some of these symptoms and that blowing it out could do the trick. The way to determine this best is to blow the compressed air into the blades while you're cleaning it. The if the fan spins really well from your compressed air, then it isn't the bearing or debris, but a brush that's the problem.

You could always replace the whole PS, but most fans are just plug and socket and yes, if you need to replace you could cut the wires (usually black and red) about midway and strip it back some (as was already suggested).

I've seen this type of thing hundreds of times and usually any performance problems with any fan in a PC usually requires replacement. If not immediately, eventually. Unless you have a lot of dust buildup and still that sort of thing will have a bad effect on the best of fans and could take it out too.

Carl

Good News

For once:mad:

OK, a friend offered to give me a power supply he isn't using, he can get it to me by tomorrow.

After that, I'll open up the old power supply when I have some free time and try what you guys advised me.

Thanks

Back