OH mic suggestions

buryher17

I currently have a pair of AT2020's and they have treated me wonderfully for the last couple years but it's coming to a point where all the other drums have much better mic's set to them and these need to be upgraded...

I don't have the most money and more than likely i'll just pick up a used one but what would you guys suggest as a good upgrade for the money? I heard that the akg 400's are awesome (not the 420's).

I was thinking of just making it a simple upgrade and go with the 3035 or 4040, but I was thinking maybe I should go with a whole new brand.

I'm will be running these mic's out of my Digital MPA Gold, VTB1 pre, or TPSII pre. (almost always i use the DMPA... it's the nicest obviously haha)

any suggestions/ experiences would be gratefull :p

I've got the AT4050's which are ok.

I can't help but wonder if I would have been better/worse of the AKG C414's or the new AKG 214.

I'm no help. :(

I look forward to reading this thread.

Gefell 930s! best overheads ever! the highs are out of this world.

NT1's have a lot of highs, but they are super crisp.
I dig the nt1's on rides though.

Mojave m-200's are great overheads as well.

that being said without selling a kidney, check out Rode NT5s for a SDC, possibly a pair of mid grade ribbons,

Gefell 930s! best overheads ever! the highs are out of this world.

NT1's have a lot of highs, but they are super crisp.
I dig the nt1's on rides though.

Mojave m-200's are great overheads as well.

that being said without selling a kidney, check out Rode NT5s for a SDC, possibly a pair of mid grade ribbons,

I ahve an nt1 now and LOVE it. It's such a great all around mic. I was thinking of just grabbign a second, but I purposely bought the nt1 to be stricly on vocals. I didn't want to share it with cymbals haha.

The mojave m-200's have been in my dreams for the last couple years haha I WISH i could afford those right now. Maybe once i'm out of school and gte a job at a financial firm i'll invest in those and a c414 (another dream of mine).

Thanks for the help guys. I might just try and find another nt1 and live with knowing it's not a matched pair haha I know you can find nt1's for like 100-115

Back