Oh crap, another new interface thread...

lomky

I know I know, but I would like some opinions. I curently have a Delta 1010, I've had it for years, I like the simplicity and reliability. I finished tracking a project at the real studio where they use an RME hamerfall (I think) and a Tascam MX-2424 as there front end. There is a drastic difference, but how much is the conversion I don't know. I'm finding my 1010 tight and smeary (is that a word). So I'm looking for an upgrade. I tried an Echo audiofire 12, I like it, same simplicity as my 1010, firewire (so I can use my laptop) and it sounds great (more open to my ears than the 1010). But now I'm hearing about the 1010 Black Lion upgrade. The problem is I can't test the upgrade. I sent an e-mail and one of there people said it would "blow Away" the Audiofire 12 (how does one quantify blow away?).

Another problem with upgrading the 1010 is I will need to pay to upgrade to a PCI-x card (I just recently lost m receipt for to prove I bought since 2003 for the free upgrade).

Opinions are like @ssholes, so what's your opinions?

You really arent going to find much difference in the conerters in the built in category.

Cutting my own throat I know but....

Once you get past the super cheap-o noise and distortion mistakes, even cheapo chinese crap builds can sound pretty good.

Frequency response is almost guaranteed to be pretty righteous (except near the LPF), and noise and distortion go away even into the pretty cheap realm.

You can get surprised by what the better converters sound like, they can often sound "worse". THats just their accuracy, but many would call it "harsh"

I just finished an album, that just got mastered by James Murphy and Andy Sneap, but was recorded solely on a firepod. Just used those mic pre's and converters and none else. It really doesnt get much cheaper than this, but it turned out very well

pipelineaudio said:
You really arent going to find much difference in the conerters in the built...
...else. It really doesnt get much cheaper than this, but it turned out very well

thanks for your opinion ;)

So, my reason for upgrading is a couple fold. The 1010 dip switches +4/-10 are crackling like bad pots (even when not touched sometimes) a real pain in the butt. and I would like to go firewire so I can use my laptop. I think I read in your thread that I won't see much difference either way. So in my case it would probably be better to go with something like the Audiofire?

TravisinFlorida said:
Depending on where you bought the 1010 from, they may have the receipt on file. Just a thought.

I'll look into that but I doubt it, thanks though!

The Black lion upgrade seems interesting. Is it worth the $1200 I would spend to send in all 3 of my units and not be able to work for a week or two while its gone.

lomky said:
thanks for your opinion ;)

So, my reason for upgrading is a couple fold. The 1010 dip switches +4/-10 are crackling like bad pots (even when not touched sometimes) a real pain in the butt. and I would like to go firewire so I can use my laptop. I think I read in your thread that I won't see much difference either way. So in my case it would probably be better to go with something like the Audiofire?

How much I/O you need? I often see fully pro converters on ebay for cheap...add an adat I/O card to the computer and you can be uber pro for peanuts (for stereo anyhow, 8 channels and up is a lot still)

pipelineaudio said:
How much I/O you need? I often see fully pro converters on ebay for cheap...add an adat I/O card to the computer and you can be uber pro for peanuts (for stereo anyhow, 8 channels and up is a lot still)

hmmm, intersting thought. For most of the projects I work on budget dictates the amount of channels I need. If the budget allows I try to record drums/scratch tracks/and anything else that we have time for in one of our local studios. the cost for me to work there is $50/hour. Then we will track overdubs at my home. To be honest on the last two projects I've done we haven't gone over 2 tracks at a time. But if the budget doesn't allow I would also like the flexibility to record a drum kit.

That being said I get a little confused when talking ADAT/conversion. The studio track at uses the Tascam 2424 as the AD into an RME via ADAT and then uses a Tascam DAT for the DA (I think). What would you suggest I start looking for in terms of conversion? This is kinda uncharted teritory for me, so if you can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Back