OH Compression

Wingpen

is it best to compress each overhead individually or could I run them both into a stereo compressor so each signal works against each other?

Personally, for overheads I would tend to compress them with a stereo compressor. I almost always try and treat overheads as single track in many ways. I typically try and keep volume, EQ, and any external FX (verb, comps etc...) the same on both:)

Unless you are going for a whacky creative effect use a stereo compressor in link mode. The reason for this is that if you compress individually your stereo image will change when each comrpessor starts working. You snare drum will move left to right.

xstatic said:
Personally, for overheads I would tend to compress them with a stereo compressor. I almost always try and treat overheads as single track in many ways. I typically try and keep volume, EQ, and any external FX (verb, comps etc...) the same on both:)

Is this during recording, or afterwards? Is it OK to record the kit (OH's and such) with compression, but not with gates? Thanks! ;)

-mr moon

I do my overheads compression during mixdown. I do sometimes like to peg a room mic really hard with a distressor to tape. Mostly because I need that stuff free during mixdown for other channels. I am always prepared however to not use the room mic in the mix if the compression makes it too wierd for that song. I would reccomend waiting to compress unless it is purely for a tone thing.

i tend to leave out the compression on overheads until the end and frequently even then i use it very little. overheads are designed to grab the ambience of the room and in many instances overuse of a compressor can diminish this. instead, for level purposes and such i'll compress my kick and snare with the thought of adding them in to the mix to give a more defined punch. however, two well placed overhead mics quite frankly may comprise the majority of your drum sound. gating i belive is helpful if used properly on some of the closed miced drums such as snare or toms. otherwise, i'd use it sparingly on the overheads.

Back