Office System Panel Inserts

Bartman

I count on me
Our facilities manager here at work has a surplus of high end office system panel inserts he is willing to give to me free of charge. The inserts are basically the covered materials that fit inside the frames used to build cubicle workspaces.

The Office system company that sold them to us is Knoll. I went to their web site and found tons of information on the fabric covering the inserts but nothing at all about the insert material. It looks like some type of fiberglass or synthetic woven material and the web site references sound absorption qualities. In the office environment, they do seem to contain sound.

The panel inserts are mostly 14" X 24" but there are other odd sizes as well.

Any useful room treatment uses? I'm thinking worst case is I make some frames/stands and try them as portable gobos for recording acoustic guitar and vocals in one of my rooms that have hard wood flooris. Good idea? Bad idea? Waste of time?

Thanks,

Bart

very, very useful.
I hung 6 of these from the ceiling, and used 6 on the walls in a 27 X 30
project studio, worked out really well.
good catch!
C>

It's fairly common to find those office panels for free - they are such a pain to get rid of that companies are more than happy to give them away.

In my old studio I had several (got them free when the company I worked for remodeled the offices) and they worked very well for room treatment, as gobos, etc.

However, when I moved to my new place (a much smaller area) I could not make room for them - so it was I who wanted to get rid of them. No one would take them - no local studios, no local business (not even goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. etc).

I had to literally cut them up into small pieces and put them in the garbage a little at a time - it was a major headache and more work than I wanted.

So - if you take them, you will likely find them useful in your recording area - but woe onto thee if you have to eventually get rid of them.

Back