Ode to Billy Joe remake

lexridge

This is my remake of Bobbi Gentry's "Ode to Billy Joe" It's still a scratch vocal, but the music is mostly finished. I just want to get some ideas as to where to go, from this group.

All the acoustic guitars and bass are direct in with pickups. The drums are programmed, and the vocal is a sinus infection, which is why it is a "scratch vocal". Wanted something to work with.

The lead guitar is running thru Amplitube. Recorded dry, processed on mixdown. It's still a bit bass heavy, and I'm not sure why. I'm having a real hard time with it for some reason.

Anyway, comments, suggestions and criticisms (sp?) please.

Listening while I post...nice acoustic sound..bass seems a bit strong..dig the vocals...sinus infection and all :) !Guitar solo sounds laid back and groovy...nice.The only thing that sticks out to me is that low end bass/kick drum..kinda making my speakers woof a bit...otherwise pretty excellent job man...nice strumming!

Vaguley rember the original...was it done by a female?I thought maybe a Janis Joplin type singer?Anyways cool job man..I dug it.

variaxman said:
Listening while I post...nice acoustic sound..bass seems a bit strong..dig the vocals...sinus infection and all :) !Guitar solo sounds laid back and groovy...nice.The only thing that sticks out to me is that low end bass/kick drum..kinda making my speakers woof a bit...otherwise pretty excellent job man...nice strumming!

Thanks man! I recently added a 12" sub to my setup, so that's the cause of the bass errors. I cannot get this thing set up right, but a friend offered to bring over his spectrum analyzer next week and hopefully get it set correctly.

Vaguley rember the original...was it done by a female?I thought maybe a Janis Joplin type singer?Anyways cool job man..I dug it.

Bobbi Gentry is female (see http://www.allmusic.com). The original was very VERY slow and bluesy. Mine is about twice original tempo.

Anyway, I've remixed it, lowered the bass tones (hopefully), changed the drums around, and reduced the d/l size by about half. It's now 128kbs instead of 224. The original is still there for comparison sake.

lexridge said:
Anyway, I've remixed it, lowered the bass tones (hopefully), changed the drums around, and reduced the d/l size by about half. It's now 128kbs instead of 224. The original is still there for comparison sake.

Sorry, bad link...DOH! It's fixed now.

Back